So I'm Gay

For any problems related to sexuality, coming out & gay relationships.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

So I'm Gay

Postby TheCannibalPenguin » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:42 pm

I'm Gay And Going Out With This Guy (The Same Guy In My First Topic), But I Don't Know How To Tell My Family, Especially Since My Older Brother Goes To The Same School And All Of My Supposed "Friends" Are Telling Loads Of People...

So How Do I Tell My Family???
TheCannibalPenguin
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby all_apologies » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:44 pm

A little bit more info on your situation would be good. How old are you both, how is the relationship going, and how do you think your family and schoolmates would respond? As much as I admire anyone that can come out at school, I often think it's a bad idea if there's a likelihood of you being picked on or made fun of by your peers.

Also, how long have you been seeing your partner? Have you known you were gay for a long time or is it a relatively new feeling that you're just coming to grips with?

I think all these factors will influence how we can advise you best, so some more detail would be helpful.
all_apologies
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:04 pm

It's better your family hear it from you
What is there general opinion on gay people?
You need to pick a time when it is not stressful and sit them down and just be honest
It might be helpful to get them some literature to read - go on a help site for gays and print off any useful information for parents
If they generally don't have an issue with the whole gay thing just tell them you got yourself a b/f
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby TheCannibalPenguin » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:39 pm

Well, We've Only Started Going Out, We're Both 13, Its Going OK, But, I've Known That He Was Gay For Quite Some Time, But Didn't Have The Courage To Go And Ask Him Out.
I Don't Really Know What My Family Thinks Of Gay People, All I Know Is That My Younger Brothers Hate Them....
TheCannibalPenguin
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby all_apologies » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:01 pm

What's making you want to tell them just yet? Thirteen is really young to take such a big step. I'm not saying that you're not mature enough to handle it, but I do think that taking some more time to come to grips with your own situation before telling everyone else would be a good idea. Do you find that your peers generally have similar views to your brother or are they more accepting?
all_apologies
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: So I'm Gay

Postby Sunstreaker » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:40 am

If I were you I'd invite him over (say for dinner) and tell your perants (infront of your yonger brother) that your gay friend is coming over then You could get your perants and brothers oppinions on him and being gay then if there fine with it you could make your desision wether to tell them about your sexuality or not depending on how they take it and give your brother a thick ear for being so judgemental about gays. :D and I'd allso like to know wether your peers are as judgemental about your sexuality to???

P.S I am so jelouse that you managed to find someone so young in life I'm only a year older and I feel so allone, sexualy that Is. :)
Sunstreaker
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Bel Bel » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:24 pm

Juts invite him round as a friend and don't worry about introducing him as a b/f just yet.It 's early days anyway but if they get to know and like him they are much mor likeloy to be accepting your b/f and b/f later down the line if you stay together
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby Sunstreaker » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:51 pm

yess thats what i realy ment bel bel put it much better!!!
Sunstreaker
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby snail » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:22 pm

Penguin posted this original problem in April 2008, guys, so I imagine it's resolved by now.
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Sexuality