How do I tell family and friends I'm gay?

For any problems related to sexuality, coming out & gay relationships.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Postby Moose » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:05 pm

matchbox 20 wrote:Yeah.... the "gay and proud" people i know are quite popular in their group of friends, it's if you have a problem with being called gay and go to measures to not being called it, will only make people take the mick even more. Be proud of who you are :)

Hmm, this sort of thing is ok if you're really confident and like the attention, enjoy dealing with ignorant muppets, but if you're not, I would say don't come out in school!
Moose
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby elmo24 » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:55 pm

Hey urban_dude!

Don't feel you have to tell people...it's not necessary to tell people if you are heterosexual is it? Personally if I thought I had to tell someone, I'd tell the people that i care about (and that care about me) and I'd stop there...school kids can be so judgemental and nasty...only tell people you can really trust. The thing is, if or when you go to College/Uni whatever, things are usually so much more liberal - there's a more diverse mix of people and when you say "I'm gay" they'll be like, "Oh ok" and probably react as much as if you just told them you like to collect stamps!!

Good luck :wink:
All you need is love...
elmo24
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby mew_mew_kitten » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:24 pm

When I used to go to school, as I imagine you do, it was 'uncool' and 'weird' to be gay, especially in a 12-16 age group.
As soon as I started going to college, everyone who was gay there was accepted. I also noticed that there were more gay people, as they were finally able to accpet who they were, as they were in a more adult and mature environment, there was no teasing and ridiculing.
My point is, you may still just be confused about your feelings, and you may even be by the time you leave school, but if you are definitely gay, when you get to college you will feel more accepted and relaxed. Maybe even then you can begin to discuss this with your parents, as they will be able to see that you are mature enough to make up your own mind.
They also have GLB (Gay Lesbian and Bisexual) clubs in every college, so you won't feel so alone if you need someone to chat to and get advice from!!!
(PS some of my best friends are gay, and they all share this opinion!)
Good luck! :-)
mew_mew_kitten
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby SAVVY » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:53 pm

hiya urban_dude!
i'm gay myself and i started telling my closest friends. Then i began to tell otha people that i found were in the same boat as me. I realised that the people who are 'homophobic' don't understand much about the feelings we go through!
You should tel your closest friends first and they can help you to decide what to do next.
hope this helps x x
SAVVY
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Previous

Return to Sexuality