only me again....safe sex

For any problems related to sexuality, coming out & gay relationships.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

only me again....safe sex

Postby loopy_lass85 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:46 pm

hi

well me and my mate sorted things.........after a LONG period of silence, we chatted bout everything. we havent decided if we r gonna sleep together or not yet but we are tryin to get our friendship back on track because this really shook it.
but it did raise 1 issue that we both had no clue of the answer

is there such a thing as safe sex in a lesbian relationship?

i know there probably is but what? we were talkin bout 1 night stands with woman, how do u protect urself. i know i probably sound naive but if i was to go on the pull lookin for a bloke i know i hav to have condoms but i hav no clue bout woman, i mean IS there anything. i might actually rambling bout nothing

it would be great if any 1 could sort out my curiosity and potentially save me form any nasties i may pick up

thanx
L xXx
i wish i were a glow worm, a glow worms never glum, how can u b unhappy wen the sun shines out ur bum!
loopy_lass85
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby nothings_shocking » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:00 am

Speaking of condoms...there is such a thing as a femidom. It is cap shaped.
I think this is the only way of preventing yourself from 'nasties'.
x x x
nothings_shocking
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Moose » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:27 pm

I could be wrong, but I think a Femidom is a female condom for protection when sleeping with a chap because it works in the same way as a 'normal' condom. Women can use things like dental dams when having oral sex, but I don't think there is anything else.
Moose
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby brielle » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:33 pm

I dont think there is any safe sex in a lesbian relationship, its not as simple as male and female partners together, the only suggestion i have is phone a help line with this in mind! :)
we will sit upon the rocks,
and see the sheperds feed their flocks
by shallow rivers, to whose falls
melodious birds sing madrigals.
brielle
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby elmo24 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:28 am

I think Moose is right...femidom's are for when you have sex with guys. My friend went to a clinic and the only thing they offered her for safe sex with her GF was a gum-shield (dental dam).
All you need is love...
elmo24
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Lorelei » Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:15 am

Yes, only heterosexual couples use femidoms.

Lesbian sex is a tricky issue in terms of safety. You have a smaller chance of contracting anything than straight couples or gay men do. However, there are distinct risks. Although some STIs are unlikely to be transmitted through oral contact, infections like thrush and herpes can very easily spread to your mouth. All that I can really suggest is that if you are unsure of how healthy your partner is, you should probably avoid oral intimacy and stick to manual stimulation.xxx
Lorelei
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby loopy_lass85 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:03 pm

thanx for ur help, i have never seen a dental dam before. how do they work? and is it common for women on the pull to carry theese.
i wish i were a glow worm, a glow worms never glum, how can u b unhappy wen the sun shines out ur bum!
loopy_lass85
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Sammeh » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:49 pm

I read somewhere (DIVA magazine) you can use cling-film as a barrier somehow, but don't ask me the technicalities of that!
You say it's gonna happen now...but what exactly do you mean? 'Cos I've already waited too long, and all my hope is gone...
Sammeh
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby elmo24 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:08 pm

As far as I know, dental dams act like gums shields - like rugby players wear. They look pretty much the same and fit over your top teeth. However, unlike rugby, they are not there to stop your teeth falling out should you get booted in the mouth :D lol, no they are in case, for example, your gums started to bleed. This would stop the transmission of fluids to your partner and protects against HIV etc.

Hope that's made things a little clearer for you? :wink:
All you need is love...
elmo24
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby all_apologies » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:26 pm

Hmm... I remember in sex-ed at school being shown these things that I was sure were called dental dams (though I could be wrong). They were used for protection when performing oral sex on a woman anyway. They were basically a thin latex sheet which could be positioned to prevent actual contact. As I say, I thought these were dental dams, but I could be wrong?
all_apologies
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby nothings_shocking » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:28 pm

Moose wrote:I could be wrong, but I think a Femidom is a female condom for protection when sleeping with a chap because it works in the same way as a 'normal' condom. Women can use things like dental dams when having oral sex, but I don't think there is anything else.

Oh yer. Thanks for correcting me :D
x x x
nothings_shocking
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Lorelei » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:36 pm

A gum shield sounds like a good idea to prevent the transmission of serious infections to your gums, but just remember that other infections can still be passed back and forth between mouths and intimate areas!
Lorelei
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby elmo24 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:16 pm

I'd listen too all_apologies rather than me!! I only have vague recollections of what my friends have told me. Try the website below if you need any further info...

http://www.4woman.gov/faq/Lesbian.htm

Hope that helps 8)
All you need is love...
elmo24
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Moose » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:29 am

all_apologies wrote:Hmm... I remember in sex-ed at school being shown these things that I was sure were called dental dams (though I could be wrong). They were used for protection when performing oral sex on a woman anyway. They were basically a thin latex sheet which could be positioned to prevent actual contact. As I say, I thought these were dental dams, but I could be wrong?

Wow, we never had sex-ed like that!

I think what a_a is saying is right - I only know a bit about dental dams because I've read women talking about them on Diva online! Which is quite interesting, if you like that sort of thing.
Moose
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby loopy_lass85 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:11 pm

Moose wrote:Wow, we never had sex-ed like that!

likewise, we did the whole condom thing and how to put it on a cast model, but nothing for lesbian relationships which now i find quite amusing because i went to an all girls school.

i think more should be done for both gay and straight sex education.
loopy_lass85
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Next

Return to Sexuality