Girlfriend's weight

For problems with girlfriends, boyfriends, husbands, wives, lovers and leavers!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Girlfriend's weight

Postby Dani » Sun Mar 30, 2003 6:48 am

My girlfriend has been studying in the USA for a year and a half. During that time we have not seen ech other but she recently came home and I was shocked by how much weight she had gained, at least 20 kilos I would say. I bit my tongue and didn't say anything but while we were together she ate more than I had ever seen before. Now she has gone back off to finish the semester and I wonder if I should say something to her about it. I am surprised she didn't say soemthing to warn me or be the least bit concerned. I'd appreciate advice. :(
Dani
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby misatok11 » Sun Mar 30, 2003 8:32 am

Having been over to the states i know how easy it is to go overboard on the food. The portions are huge and i put a bit of weight on myself. The key to approaching the subject is tact. Your GF may already be a bit self conscious about this and if not, be subtle in the way you ask her about the subject. The most important thing is has she changed about the way she feels for you? I think you'll find that she hasnt and this should be the most important thing for you.
misatok11
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Dani » Tue Apr 01, 2003 5:36 am

She hasn't changed her feelings, or at least it wasn't apparent. But it is a pretty big physical change for a girl who looked good in a bikini. I know she likes to eat but always watched her weight. I just wonder if this is a sign of things to come?
Dani
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Llisa » Tue Apr 08, 2003 7:45 pm

Hi hun,
I live in Canada, (which apparently a lot of people don't know that we're the humongous country that sits north of the US) and I also live right on the border between Canada and the US. I KNOW how much food the US people can eat, and it's disgusting. It's a national problem and something that takes up a lot of news coverage over here. I've been to the UK and (besides the tremendous cost of things) was shocked at how little the food portions are! I'm a huge fan of food and love to eat, but I also don't weigh a lot and have never had a problem with weight. (I weigh 145 lbs...I'm not sure how many kilos that is) anyways, I'm not surprised that your girlfriend may have put on a few more extra pounds. But let me tell you something, more then likely, it's all temp. weight. It means that she'll likely loose it when she comes home again. My advice on you talking to her about it? Approach her with the idea that maybe something is wrong with her and that hse's eating out of depression or something like that. If she says "no, why?" then say that you noticed she was eating a lot more then usual and that she'd put on a bit of weight. I'm a girl, and I know how hard it is for us to hear someone think that we're fat, especially our boyfriends, but let me tell you, it might be good for and MAKE SURE YOU TELL HER THAT YOU STILL CARE FOR HER! That is SO crucial! k?
Will be praying for ya
Llisa
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Llisa » Tue Apr 08, 2003 7:55 pm

oh, I forgot to say that I'm also 5'9"...which means that my weight is distributed quite evenly...I'm actually underweight for my height. And that's another thing that you might not be thinking about. If might seem like your girlfriend has gained a lot of weight, but if she was really skinny to begin with..it might just be better for her. I don't know though! I've never seen her and don't know the exact details, but it's just another suggestion.
Llisa
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby IckleBlackRose » Sun May 18, 2003 9:43 pm

well,again i have been out to the states and it is VERY easy to put on weight,But then again i think your being a little mean,If you felt strongly towards your gf. You wouldnt care about her size!!!! so think careful if you are to speak to her.that can break a woman.
IckleBlackRose
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Amz » Sun May 18, 2003 10:53 pm

I wouldnt tell her that your concerned about her weight because if shes anything like me, she'll be very upset no matter how you put it. I understand where your coming from just try and support her and go to the gym with her etc. and build up her confidence rather than shattering it! All the best.XX
Amz
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby dishydomlovers » Mon May 19, 2003 2:57 pm

i think you should tell her about your concerns. you've been going out long enough for you not to hide your feelings. she may not have realised and willprob thank u for it further down the line.
if you do tell her she will rely on you for support. when she returns its up to u to initiate things like sport to help her through. its difficult to break a cycle. she may be self concious about the weight but too scared to say anything.

dishydom lovers
dishydomlovers
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Jupiter » Thu May 22, 2003 10:51 pm

i think ur meaN. DOES IT ACTUALLY MATTER WHAT HER WEIGHT IS? i'm overweight and so what my boyfriend lovesme, stop being shallow!!!
Jupiter
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Hey not ur fault man

Postby Mr.L » Fri May 23, 2003 8:09 pm

Shes gained a bit of wieght and shes a bit less taractive u cud try tell ehr to lose a lil bit liek gog ym with her or whaetever. Ur not shallow we all have to be atracted to our partners else theres no point dont worry about the above comment. Her partners artacted to ehr so dnt mataa but ur losing the atractiveness so she needs to lsoe it, its not shallow its natural
Mr.L
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby midnite » Fri May 23, 2003 11:06 pm

if you really care about her,
her increase in size shouldn't matter.

not every body looks great just because they are skinny.
my bf like me just the way i am,
even though i am over weight but it a family thing.

i understand you may be shocked at this sudden change,
but instead of feeling negative try and stay postive.
how you feel about her is more important,
then a couple of extra pounds.

if you still feel unsure about this,
talk to her,
but don't put her down,
because it will only cause more problems.

you shouldn't judge people on their size.
it's their personality that counts and how you both feel.
midnite
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Jupiter » Sat May 24, 2003 12:17 am

MR L, sorry to say it but if u love someone u r attractred to them if my boyfriend looked like homer simpson id love him and be attracted to him because love is trulyblind, i'm overweight, alot actually and my boyfriend loves me, he likes skinny womenlik any other man but we attract eachother because we're in love! so THERE!
Jupiter
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Mr.L » Sun May 25, 2003 12:45 pm

ok calm down stop being so immature about it, "so there". im wrong in some cases but its better to be attracted to your partner and not all love is blind.
Mr.L
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Personality

Postby Jupiter » Sun May 25, 2003 10:18 pm

my as u put it" 'so there' " comment was just me giving my point, true love is blind, but only Tue, if you care so much about the looks you cant be in the true love, id love my man no matter how he looked, its personality. not looks, that matter. in time looks will fade down but personality will always be there.i mean old wrinkly couplesn are in love they don drop eachother when they start to get old they stick with the love, love conquers all and true love is blind if u were deeply in love then nothing could make you feel less attarcted, its personality that makes u fall in lvoe and get attracted not looks. looks are used at the start to attract them to you but its the prsonality that keeps the love. oh yeah i am so not immature just p***d of at men who are as shallow as a puddle!
Jupiter
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

JUPITER WHATS THE DEAL!

Postby Mr.L » Sun May 25, 2003 10:33 pm

people arnt atracted to some people cos there FAT! get over it and calkm down with all the true love its nice u got sum1 but some people wudnt date a 400 pound bald girl just cos shes got a great perso. ok?
Mr.L
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Next

Return to Girlfriends & Boyfriends - Husbands & Wives