The age old difference of AGE!

For problems with girlfriends, boyfriends, husbands, wives, lovers and leavers!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

The age old difference of AGE!

Postby JinMyPck » Thu May 22, 2003 3:14 pm

I had an 11 month relationship with a wonderful guy. We had been friends for 7 months prior to getting together and had many things in common. He is 22 and I am 35. There were small problems in the relationship but never really anything major and things were going great. He said he loved me and the situation in which he said it showed that this was not (apparantly) just a throw away comment. Six weeks later he finished the relationship after we had a small argument about nothing in particular. I attempted to sort things out but it was not to be.

We have been apart for 8 months now during which time we have communicated only once or twice by txt and I have avoided him every chance I get because seeing him upsets me. He is aware of the fact that I am avoiding him but I don't know how he feels about it.

My problem is that I want to get back in touch with him, and hopefully restart the relationship but I do not know if I should. I am aware of the difference in our ages and altho it did not make a difference when we were together, I have used it as a reason to explain the break up. Can a relationship like this work? I miss him so much, but I am scared of rejection and of being hurt again. Can anyone help?
JinMyPck
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Lorelei » Sat May 24, 2003 3:41 pm

It's really hard, as a woman, when your man is younger than you. I'm trying to figure out whether or not to date a guy because he's three years younger than me. Of course, once a person hits adulthood, they are capaple of being in a relationship with anyone and obviously it didn't make a difference when you were together.
However, the socially acceptable age difference is for the woman to be younger and, although I'm trying to tell myself otherwise, I think there's a reason for that. We look for commitment at a younger age than men do. By nature ( although I'm not even a maternal person) we have a biological clock, they want to sow their wild oats.
If you're so upset and lonely without him, you're obviously not looking for a fling. Maybe you even think he's your soulmate. If that's the case, I think you should stay away from him because otherwise, you might get back together, but he'll hurt you again and next time it will be worse. A 22 year old male is NOT going to want to be tied down for the rest of his life. Harsh but true. I wish you all the best!xxx
Lorelei
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Return to Girlfriends & Boyfriends - Husbands & Wives