He can't get rid of issues from his past

For problems with girlfriends, boyfriends, husbands, wives, lovers and leavers!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

He can't get rid of issues from his past

Postby angel7 » Sat May 31, 2003 1:48 pm

Hey all.

This is the first time Ive used something like this, but its also the first time Ive been in a situation like this.

To give a basic background to the problem - Ive been seeing this guy for just over 6 weeks. He's twelve years older than me and has two kids from a previous marriage. This is his first relationship since the marriage ended two years ago.

Things were going so well when I noticed he was starting to back off a little. We had a huge chat about it, and it turns out he's scared about the future. His marriage failed because he realised he wasnt in love with his wife, and he's now worried that the same thing will happen again. He really though he was in love with her in the beginning, and he now feels he cant tell when he's really in love.

I feel so helpless because there's nothing I can do to help. I know I need to give him time to work through his issues, but he doesnt know how to go about it.

Anyone been in a similar situation and can give some advice?! My friends and family who know the situation tell me I should just forget it as Im 'too young' to get involved in a situation like this. But I cant get out now. Its too late!

Any comments at all would be much appreciated.
Cheers!
Angel
xxx
angel7
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Loopy » Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:59 am

Hmm this is a tricky one, it depends on you really. I'd be reluctant to get any more involved with this guy at the moment. 6 weeks isn't very far into a relationship so maybe you should step back from him. He's been married, commited to the same person, and he didn't see it through, and now he's afraid of commitment. I think maybe you should give him some time to get himself together. Unless you really like each other and think you could work it through together, but it's a lot of time and effort if he just decides he doesn't want to "do" a relationship.
Sorry I can't be more helpful, follow your instincts.
Good Luck!
Loopy
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to Girlfriends & Boyfriends - Husbands & Wives