Miserable Boyfriend - I'm his no. 2

For problems with girlfriends, boyfriends, husbands, wives, lovers and leavers!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Miserable Boyfriend - I'm his no. 2

Postby Laserstar » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:21 pm

My miserable boyfriend spends every weekend morning with his mother and weekend afternoons reading and napping. He refuses to travel, never shows affection, does little around the house and never suggests doing anything in term of leisure activity. I've never met anyone through him as he rarely contacts the couple of friends he has (both single men). He seems frightened of contacting his family that live in the same town. On a couple of occasions I have invited them over and he seemed grateful. I've not seen his mother for a year even though she lives a mile away and I have asked to be included. I think he's emotionally unavailable as he is keeping me at arm's length. He won't discuss anything as if I broach any subject he becomes defensive/irritable/simply clams up completely 10 seconds into any discussion. He's 45 and told me when we met that he'd resigned himself to being single for ever (this is because he's too terrified to chat to anyone though wouldn't admit it). I'm 54 and wondering whether it's worth starting again at my age.
Laserstar
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: Miserable Boyfriend - I'm his no. 2

Postby snail » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:13 pm

Your boyfriend sounds very depressed, or at least not happy. Do you think he might be depressed? Could he see his GP about that?

It sounds as though you might only be together because you think you won't either of you be able to find anyone else. Personally I think it's better to be single than to be in that situation, as at least there is the chance of meeting someone better and you can please yourself and do whatever you like in your life while you wait.
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Girlfriends & Boyfriends - Husbands & Wives