splitting up and arranging maintenance

For problems with girlfriends, boyfriends, husbands, wives, lovers and leavers!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

splitting up and arranging maintenance

Postby Ogmy1982 » Sat May 30, 2015 8:56 am

I have have recently split from my girlfriend who I live with and we have a 3 year old son. I did pay her £850 a month towards the mortgage for our new build house which is in her name. Some of that money was also towards childcare and food and billsetc. She has already been claiming tax credits as a single person and only earns 14 k a year. She wants £450 a month which I think is alot.
I also have two older son's from a previous marriage and pay my ex wife 25 % of my income to her which was £320. However this was reduced from 345 as my youngest son lived with me. She said if I don't pay that about she will lose the house amd our son will loose his home. I feel guilty if I didn't pay that so my son stay in his home,however if I pay that amount I will never be able to afford a place to live myself. My ex girlfriend says because I am I'm forces and not at home during the week I can just live with my parents. But I am 33 years old with three son's and my parents only have a 3 bedroom house.
I want to provide for my son's but feel like I'll be financially crippled.
Ogmy1982
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: splitting up and arranging maintenance

Postby Ogmy1982 » Sat May 30, 2015 12:05 pm

Sorry I meant I pay my ex wife 20%.
It's my ex girlfriend that wants £450 so I would be paying 770 a month before any other outgoings
Ogmy1982
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Bel Bel » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:20 pm

There is a child tax credit calculator which tells you what you should be paying based on your individual circumstances. Use this as a guide to show her what you will legally have to pay
https://www.gov.uk/tax-credits-calculator
With a child she will be entitled to accomodation from the council even it it means temporarily going into a secure hostel. In fact if she has property to sell she may well get housed and not even have to go into a hostel if she can time it right, all her issues not yours
She sounds like she wants to keep her old lifestyle and for you to fund it. On 14k she will also get working tax credits and child tax credits, trust me she isn't going to be poor my daughter is in the same situation with a housing association flat and they pay a tremendous amount to help and she is on 15k
You should also check with citizens advice about the house situation as you have been paying the mortgage. Why is it just in her name? It does mean of course if she deflaults on the mortgage they can't come after you.
On 14k she will also get working tax credits and child tax credits, trust me she isn't going to be poor
Your child will adjust to a new home. Lots of people have to move fro different reasons and they adapt. she is trying to get at you emotionally.
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby Ogmy1982 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:32 pm

Cheers Thankyou. Your advice will help and was also in line with what my thougts are.
Ogmy1982
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Ogmy1982 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:02 pm

Also the reason mortgage was just in her name was at the time I was still recovering and trying to fix credit rating from being left with marital debts from ex wife years before.
Ogmy1982
Just Landed
Just Landed

Return to Girlfriends & Boyfriends - Husbands & Wives