old man

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

old man

Postby lovelove » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:21 pm

Hey.
I recently moved to Brighton and Ive been at my new job a few months now and i really enjoy it and the moneys great however the guy i work with is at least 50-60 and now my boyfriend is starting to go out with work collegues from his work im finding it hard to cope with not having anyone to go out with, we dont know anybody else yet so im getting quite upset, should i get a job somewhere else with less pay and doing something i dont like but have people my own age (20) then start having a social life.
lovelove
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Moose » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:27 pm

I don't think you need to leave your job to make new mates in Brighton. Of course work is a good place to meet people, but it's not the only way. I recently asked a friend of mine who moved here from somewhere far away how she made new friends because she always seemed to be going out with different people, and she said that she'd made several mates just from going to the pub. Her bloke started going down there on his own, and got chatting to another bloke, then they both thought their wives would get on, so she went down, met this guy's wife, they became friends, then the other couple introduced my friend and her husband to their friends, and it kind of went from there. I met this girl through work, but we only started going out together once I left the job.

Can you go out with your bloke and his colleagues? You might hit it off with some of them. Or is it important to you to make your own separate mates?
Moose
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby lovelove » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:33 pm

Well last night he went out with them and i asked why he didnt ask me to come and he said straight out that he is allowed out without me once in a while, which quite frankly annoyed me, and im realy shy and find it hard to just meet people at the pub, my boyfriend works weekend nights too so then i sit in by myself absolutely hating every second of it, then in the day he'll be in bed most of it cause hes tired from the night before, seems like this is going to be a routine for a long while, he has thought of changing jobs, at the moment he works at a bar, but he wont actually do anything about for a year maybe more as he enjoys it but its all getting me down
lovelove
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby brfc » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:59 pm

Have you thought about joining a club or a gym. There a great way to meet new people.
brfc
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Wild Sage » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:23 pm

or find where activitys for adults are on like swimming danceing or theater groups are and join one of those. they are good ways to meet new people.
Borders are scratched across the hearts of men
By strangers with a calm, judicial pen,
And when the borders bleed we watch with dread
The lines of ink across the map turn red.
Wild Sage
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby queenieplum » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:52 pm

Hi there - why not join a few clubs? Always a great way to make friends with likeminded people and it may make you do something you have fancied doing in years.
Brighton is such a fun place - there is bound to be lots on offer. :)
queenieplum
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Liquidius » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:53 pm

Hmmm - I don't think you'd need to do anything as extreme as leaving your job to make friends. As others have suggested, why not join some clubs? On the other hand, I'm sure your boyfriend will invite you out to meet a few of his work colleagues.
Liquidius
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby lovelove » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:03 pm

my bf hasnt invited me out with his work friends, nor will he
lovelove
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby brfc » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:09 pm

there is a social group in brighton i found on the net. forwarded the details too you hope thats of help
brfc
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Ceadour » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:27 pm

I moved to a new town on my own about 12 months ago (my boyfriend was only able to come down on weekends to start off with). From knowing no-one I took the risk of meeting some new friends on the Internet & we now have a great circle of friends. I have never been very confident and this has really changed.

Also, I know your boyfriend won't want to be the kind of person who takes his other half everywhere but if he sees you at home with no friends and still happily goes out all the time, something isn't quite right.
Ceadour
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby gatekeeper » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:44 am

Well you could start by becoming friends with this guy, who's 50/60. He might have children who're around your age. You could ask about them, then if they sound interesting enough, you could ask to meet them and take it from there.
Late at night when all the world is sleeping
I stay up and think of you and I wish on a star that somewhere you are thinking of me too...
So I wait for the day and the courage to say how much I love you
gatekeeper
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Return to Work & Colleagues