Total Career Change - Has Anyone Done It?

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Total Career Change - Has Anyone Done It?

Postby Squeak » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:42 pm

After working all my life up till now in admin/office jobs (am currently a PA at the moment), I've handed my notice in to start a totally different job starting in February. As the gulf between what I do at the moment and what I will be doing is huge (I'll be going from a PA to a welder), I'm more than a little nervous about how I'll get on when I start.

I feel I could walk into any admin job and get on with my eyes closed, but I'm now starting to have nightmares! It's gonna be such a huge culture shock so I just wondered if anyone else has any stories if they changed onto a totally different careers path, and how they got on. I guess I'm a little bit scared I'll be wielding a grinder all day, when at the moment the scariest thing I have to deal with is a stapler!

Thanks!
Squeak x

Squeak
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby captainf » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:04 pm

Hey

I think the main thing is to just keep positive and motivate yourself. If I recall correctly this is all in your blood isn't it? I think you told me your dad had a similar job..etc So you could always look to him for support!

Yeah, it will be quite a change for you, but don't worry too much about that. Some changes, however big, can be very positive outcomes and i'm certain this is one of them happening for you now. You're probably abit nervous because it's what you've wanted to do and the nerves are setting in because you're making it happen for real. I am very much like you in that respect - as you know my ATPL start's this year and i'm really nervous about the workload and the fact that this could be it, I could now end up making it as an airline pilot.. and sometimes those thoughts alone can daunts and excite us at the same time.

The important thing to remember is that no matter how hard it is, no matter how frustrating certain times of training are, you're carrying out what you want to do and you're going to be making your life alot better because of that. :D

I wish you the best of luck with it. Please keep in contact.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Squeak » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:38 pm

Thanks Captain!

That was a really great reply! I will definately take your advice!

I totally understand when you say about something that you've wanted to do for a long time now suddenly looks you in the face! It's exciting and terrifying at the same time!

I'm a little worried that they are going to want me to start off straight away with doing things, but I'm so worried about making a mistake! Make a mistake here and it's a bit of paper or someone having a bit of a moan, but I'm scared I could cost them thousands if I do something wrong. I spose I'm going to have to force myself out of my comfy environment stuck behind a desk and take a chance!

Thanks loads for your post - as always very good advice, and it will be a comfort in those long, cold hours in a workshop!!

I will definately keep in touch to let you know how it's going! Gotta hear about your ATPL likewise! :wink:

Thanks,
Squeak x

Squeak
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby retrochav » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:04 pm

Change is always frightening, but fear just holds us back.

I work as a plasterer, an advice worker with the C.A.B and Age Concern, and a childminder at weekends! I once was a carer and had no confidence that i could do anything else. Transferring skills is tottally possible and really boosts your self esteem.

I'm confident you will make a great welder if that is where you passionate intrest lies. If all else fails, go back to admin as you have a proven track record in it. You will never know what you are capable of unless you give yourself at least six months to try something new. Best of lUCK
whatever your problem someone else has been there and bears the scars.
retrochav
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby captainf » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:28 pm

Hey

I doubt they'll get you working on the really hard things right away and as you're just starting out i'm sure that they'll expect you to make mistakes here and there. Afterall, you're just starting out. Will you be working as an apprentice? If so, again you'll just be learning and working at the same time.

As I said, I think that your nerves and excitement of your dream job coming true is whats really daunting you. You're probably so happy and excited that it feels abit unreal and scary. Abit like when the love of your love proposes - You feel really happy and surprised, but abit nervous too.

I'm sure that all will turn out great and soon you'll be PMing me about how great it is and how much fun you're having. :D Just enjoy the ride because by the sounds of it, things are about to get very fun and interesting for the both of us, what with you and your new job and me and my ATPL. :D
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby brfc » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:02 pm

ive done a few things but like you im changing direction with my career. its a bit nerve racking but also exciting too. you wont be expected too know it all at the start. only time makes you good at something.
brfc
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Moose » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:47 pm

captain_flynn wrote: as you know my ATPL start's this year and i'm really nervous about the workload and the fact that this could be it, I could now end up making it as an airline pilot.. and sometimes those thoughts alone can daunts and excite us at the same time.

I think this is a really interesting point. I work with long-term unemployed people, and day in day out I hear my clients complaining about how they don't hear back from companies when they apply, or there are never any decent jobs to go for, or they never get interviews, or other people get offered jobs above them..... that sort of thing. Then, when they are offered interviews, or jobs, they make me so mad because they don't show up or they make excuses about why they can't take the job. The reason is because they're scared of the change, even if they think it's what they want. Talking about something and doing something are totally different.

Personally I think it's fantastic that you're going for such a massive career change, and it's only natural that you're going to feel nervous. You probably will make mistakes - even the most experienced welders make mistakes - everyone makes mistakes! Just learn from the more experienced welders, relax, and you'll be cool.
Moose
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Squeak » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:05 am

Thanks everyone for your really helpful replies - it's made very interesting and inspirational reading! You've all managed to sum up exactly how I feel.

I think that loads of really insightful points have been made - especially about fear of change holding you back. I feel like I can identify with Moose's clients - this is something I've been wanting to do for ages, but now the prospect of it is here, I'm scared I'll miss my desk and heated office! But I'm going to print this thread out before I leave so I can look back on it when I feel nervous and get a bit of a confidence boost.

Thanks again for taking the trouble to reply! I'll keep you all updated with how it's going!
Squeak x

Squeak
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby Still_in_Chains » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:20 am

When I left school, I worked in admin jobs in sales and marketing departments (basically typing and filing and answering the phones all day - yawn).

After a few years, I left work to have a baby. Then had another baby. When my youngest was 4, I went back to work part time but this time, my job was a teaching assistant. I decided upon this type of work primarily because of child care issues I would have had had I returned to office work. I figured this way, I'd keep the same holiday as my children.

I don't regret it for a second. I'm still doing this job now. It's the best and most fulfilling job (apart from motherhood), I've ever done. Far better than my previous jobs.
Previously known as Im_in_Chains
Still_in_Chains
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby captainf » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:54 am

Glad you're feeling better!!! You just go ahead and carry out your dreams. When you've finished the training bit you'll look back and realise it was all well worth it...

So heres the deal, although we're both nervous, you'll succeed in your welding job and i'll pass my 14 ATPL exams, okay? :D
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Squeak » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:34 pm

He he!!!! Thanks Captain - it's a deal!!!!! :D

I've done my first exam before Xmas and got the joint second highest mark in the class (28 and a half out of 30)!!

Only 4 more exams this year to go!!!!

We'll definately both pass though =D>
Squeak x

Squeak
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Return to Work & Colleagues