My Work Placement!

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

My Work Placement!

Postby xgemma86x » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:34 am

Another random post from me :rofl:

On 19th Feb I shall be starting my work placement at http://www.staindroplodge.co.uk/
I was meant to be working away but I decided to stay close to home due to my mums health problems. From what ive seen on the website the hotel looks like a really nice place and I want to do the best I can possibly do. Now im hardly the most confident of people so I thought id ask a few questions :oops:

What can I do to improve my confidence in such a short time?!?

Should I expect long shifts? (ive not been told anything about the type of shifts ill be expected to work):|

(if i think of anymore questions then ill add them)

I have to do a minimum of 210 hours in the space of a month .... ill be working from Feb 19th til March 17th. Im really looking forward to it but I am also really nervous as I have little confidence :(
xgemma86x
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby crazy_in_love » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:39 am

hey you didnt say how old you are? if your under 18 then i dont think you can legally work more than a 10 hour day and you are entitled to longer breaks. If you are over 18 then you can work up to a 12 hour day, but you cant start the next shift until 12 hours later (if that makes sense) so basically you cant do an 8am til 8pm then be back at work the next day at 6am. Im guessing on your first day youll be told of shift patterns, maybe they havent told you them yet, because some places are flexible and can work around any committments u have etc, so they draw you a rota up when you get there. My friend is a trainee nurse and has to do placements and they usually draw her rota up so she can work at her paid job part time. The whole confidence thing cannot be rushed I say, as you get to know people, and know what your doing, youll notice your confidence increasing, it just comes naturally. What i do know is that whatever the outcome, youll have had fun, and learnt new things, which is always worth it.
crazy_in_love
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby brfc » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:07 pm

thats alot of hours 210 a month. the norm is 40 hours a week. 160 a month. under 18 unless you have opted too work longer then it is illegal too expect you too work them hours i think. id check on that. brfc x
brfc
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Pwif » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:45 pm

210 hours seems a lot to work in a month (approx. 50 hours per week plus probably working unsociable hours). I'm not sure what the current law is on maximum hours to work, but your employers should be quite clear with you what hours they expect you to work. However, as you'll only be working for a month, I personally wouldn't quibble. I would just learn as I much as I could in that time. That will stand you in good stead for any other job you have in the future.

You're very open and chatty on PP, so you actually ARE self-confident. You just don't realise it completely yet. :P So, when you meet someone, just smile and listen to what they have to say. Most people like to be listened to and to be made to feel important. You don't have to have witty conversation; just be pleasant. Think of all your good points. Concentrate on what you're good at (we're all good at certain things). Once you realise what a nice person you are, you'll hold your head up high, and will automatically feel more self-confident.

I hope you enjoy your work placement. :P
Live life to the full
Pwif
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby xgemma86x » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:22 am

To the person that asked . . . . im 20 years old :)

I come across as confident when am online but in person I am really shy :o

As for working long hours ... I am prepared to that. I really can't wait to start as I know i'm going to gain so much knowledge & experience from it which I will then be able to use in future jobs. Like I said ... I start on Monday and thats just going to be an induction day ... would black trousers/skirt,white shirt and a jacket be too much?!? :-?
xgemma86x
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby spacegirl » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:50 pm

No that's not at all too much. The more proessional you look on your first day the better the impression you'll make to your employers. besides, your boss will probably lay down a dress code on your induction day so better safe than sorry! if you're working in a hotel then you'll be working with people so you will probably be expected to dress like this anyway. as for your self confidence - don't worry! you've already taken the big step of arranging a placement for yourself so even this shows that you're confident in your abilities and you're not too shy to put yourself out there.

your boss will know you're nervous and will go out of his or her way to make you feel welcome - i've worked in many different sectors and many different jobs over the years, and the induction is normally about helping you get settled into the new job and give u a chance to get to know the staff. once you get into work mode you'll probably surprise yourself, make an effort to get on with your colleagues, be polite and professional at all times and you'll soon feel at home!

A hotel where ou're constantly dealing with new people as well as the current staff will do wonders for your confidence, once you realise that you can do the job and you get on with people you'll soon relax. starting a new job is always daunting as you never know what to expect, but you'll get past this in no time and just enjoy the experience. have u ever had a job before? hope it goes well, and let us know how u get on! XO
not if you were the last dandy on earth
spacegirl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby xgemma86x » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:27 pm

Ok ive decided to stick with the suit ... so thanks to whoever told me to wear that :D

I start tomorrow ... im really excited but also nervous! Shall let you all know how I get on xxx
xgemma86x
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby xgemma86x » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:01 pm

I clearly forgot to keep you all updated :o Sorry!

I only have 1 week left at this place ... thank goodness. I hate it!!! Id been there 2 days and on the end of my 2nd day ... i was almost in tears :( It had got to me that much in such a short space of time. I hate the travelling every day and the work isnt what am meant to be doing. The other day I was cleaning walls :o I felt like Cinderella with my bucket of soapy water and my cloth. I havent done 210 hours ... infact id be surprised if ive done 150. I refuse to say anything though incase they make my last week long hours (ill be doing 11am til 5pm). The women I work with are 2-faced and witch about the other staff members when they aint around which IMHO is WRONG!!!

Ill be glad to get outta there :evil:
xgemma86x
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby brfc » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:33 pm

sad but true alot of work experience jobs sound great till you get there then they put you on the worst jobs going cause (a) no one else wants too do them or (b) health and safety rules dont permit you too do the job your supposed too be doing. i remember working at a train depot for my work experience week. thought id be helping with the trains but no. put me in the boring parts dept just putting bolts and screws in boxes for a week. bored me silly! couldnt wait too get out of there! if companys want work experience people they shouldnt use them as unpaid skivys.
brfc
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Return to Work & Colleagues