Trainee Probation Officer

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Trainee Probation Officer

Postby TPO » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:32 pm

hi all! i am currently applying for a position as a trainee probation officer...does anyone have any information or tips about the application or interview process? thank you xxx
TPO
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Moose » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:12 pm

Hi TPO,
Firstly, I have moved your topic to this work related part of the forums as you will probably get more replies.

Secondly, there is loads of good info on this site if you download it. There should have been an open day recently near to you for people who want to apply to be a TPO. Did you go to it?

The application and interview process is difficult, and because they only recruit at a certain time of the year, it's pretty competitive. You need to make sure you've read all the info that came with your pack, and something that's really important is being aware of the amount of work you'll be expected to do once you're in training. There's a lot of college work, and you will be working full time as well.

Any experience you have had in jobs or voluntary work where you've been dealing with a diverse client group will be helpful, as will a good awareness of equal opportunities and of course an open mind!

Good luck!
Moose
Taken Root
Taken Root

Re: Trainee Probation Officer

Postby retrochav » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:21 pm

Whilst i cant give you specifics as its not a job i have ever done, i can give you a few hints that may help.

* ask connextions if they have any information they can share.
* ask for a job specification and person specification as this tells you what they will be looking for.
* consider the issues your client group may face; drug abuse, unemployment, stigma etc. Is there any local charities who can give you information about this, and how you might refer your clients?

If you can go to the interview and demonstrate that you are passionate about trying to reduce/prevent reoffending then you have a great chance. Remeber that the Social Fund pays community care grants to those leaving prison to help establish them in the community (see the DWP website) which could be worth mentioning. Good luck
whatever your problem someone else has been there and bears the scars.
retrochav
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Return to Work & Colleagues