first proper job

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

first proper job

Postby Raven » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:05 pm

I have been employed part-time for nearly 4 years... however after leaving school last year I have been looking for a full-time job. I have an interview and pretty much have it in the bag. However, I am sooooo scared! I do not at all feel ready for the 'real' world..and a full-time job..as much as I want the money. I get flustered really easily and blush loads and lack commonsense and worry I will not be able to do the job justice even though it's fairly simple. And the other people in the office...what if they don't like me? Just arrrrrrgh! I know this is reeeally stupid as well but I take a lot of toilet breaks at my current job and I'd be embarrassed at this new place to keep going all the while. Lol :oops:

I'm really comfortable in my part time job but they just can't extend my hours... I know I will only get stronger from other experiences but it doesn't make them any less scary.

Any reassurance? lol xxxx
Raven
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Re: first proper job

Postby pink stripes » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:13 am

Raven wrote:I do not at all feel ready for the 'real' world..and a full-time job and worry I will not be able to do the job justice even though it's fairly simple.

Okay.. Well if the manager/boss didn't think you were up to the job then they wouldn't have given you an interview an then told you that you pretty much have it in the bag =]

Raven wrote:And the other people in the office...what if they don't like me? Just arrrrrrgh!

Starting a new job will, of course, be nerve-racking.... But think of all the
great new people who you are going to meet through your job =] [/quote]

Raven wrote:I know I will only get stronger from other experiences but it doesn't make them any less scary.

This is a very good, realistic point. At the end of the day all new things are scary.. including a new Job. But, like all jobs, you will gain a lot from it. Meeting new people, increasing your future prospects, improving your skills... Try to look at the possitives =]

Good luck =]

Hope all goes well!

x x x x x x x
pink stripes
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Moose » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:33 pm

Hi Raven
I think it's always nerve wracking when you start a new job - whether it's your first job or your twenty first job! Try not to stress too much about people liking you. You can't be liked by everyone, and there's usually (at least!) one person at work who is a pain, expecially if you work in a big office.

As for the toilet breaks, well, everyone has to go, and they probably won't even notice how many times you go. I'm the same as you - I only need to have one cup of tea and I'm rushing to the toilet (some great information for you there!).

The fact that you're even posting about it shows you're conscientious, and that's going to go in your favour. No one's going to expect you to know everything straight away, but the fact you've already been working for 4 years shows you're hard working and already have a good idea about how work, errr, works! Good luck. Hope it goes well for you.
Moose
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Raven » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:10 pm

Thankyou both very much indeed. Now I shall have to sit tight and await the verdict!

xxxxxx
Raven
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby crazy_in_love » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:14 pm

hey just to say i know exactly how you feel, having a part time job kind of puts you into this way of thinking that you can cope because its only part time and you wont be there forever. When it comes to a full time job you get scared because this is it, this is the job you could potentially have for the rest of your life so to speak and that is worrying. You have to just remember that if you suddenly dont like it or you become bored etc, then you can find a new job and just because its full time doesnt mean you are stuck there.
crazy_in_love
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Return to Work & Colleagues