my boss is bullying me

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

my boss is bullying me

Postby octavia » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:27 pm

I've been with this company for 18 months and for the past 6 especially. my boss has been bullying me increasingly. He treats me differently to his 'pet' employee in the same department. Recently he has been blaming me for errors that are not my doing on the grounds that I should look after my customers and these 'errors' (other people's) are affecting my customers. He seems to be implying that i should be cracking the whip and clamp down on people senior to me that are not doing their job.
He has criticised me very unfairly on an annual appraisal - focussing soley on negative comments in some sections of the report. Some of these negative comments are not even true. I am one of the most junior people in the business and I feel that he is trying to shoulder responsibility from himself onto me. Can anyone suggest any constructive ways of handling this? His aggression and unfairness is beginning to get to me and I find myself often feeling tearful and upset at work.
octavia
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby chat noir » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:42 pm

could citizen's advice help? Im not sure exactly what they do but I think they deal in unfair work thingies, so it might be worth a go?
chat noir
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby crazy_in_love » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:18 pm

i would say also keep a diary of the things he does with dates and times also. Does anyone else at the place notice his attitude towards you? anyone on your side? any witness' would help you.
crazy_in_love
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby elfy_p » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:53 pm

What the other guys said, plus maybe think about joining a Union if you're not a member already
elfy_p
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby cmancini » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:16 pm

Is there no-one above him you could approach? A personnel department perhaps?
Claire
cmancini
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby spacegirl » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:06 pm

crazy_in_love is right, keep a diary of everything he does that upsets you, maybe speak to another more senior colleague about how he treats you, chances are you're not the only one who has noticed it. There are so many laws out there to protect employees, as long as you keep doing your job right the way you're doing it, he wouldn't have a leg to stand on if anyone ever challenged him on the way he acts with you. i understand this feeling, a manager in my workplace was being really horrible to me formonths until a colleague of mine actually went to an area manager and complained. he panicked at the thought of losing his job, and now treats me with a lot more respect. you have as much right to be treated with respect and praised for your good work as he does, or any of your other colleagus. don't be afraid to challenge his criticisms either, if you don't agree with them.
not if you were the last dandy on earth
spacegirl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Torquemada » Mon May 07, 2007 10:01 pm

Absolutely what the guy is doing is wrong and illegal but please do not let him see it bother you; that is what he is feeding off.

If you don't feel able to stand up to him (and you may not be in a position to do that), then, when he next has a go, smile. Look him in the eye and smile.

Apparently, I need 20 posts before I can post a link but try acas dot org dot uk - it details the current law regarding bullying at work and also gives some helpful advice.
Torquemada
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Work & Colleagues