is work in the wrong

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

is work in the wrong

Postby *sparkle* » Wed May 23, 2007 3:22 pm

i started work about 3months ago and i am constanly being left on my own in the office. my bf does not like me being there on my own. i sometimes have to lock up at night and set the alarm. i really dont want the reposiabliy of being the last one out and making sure the door is locked and no one can get in. any one no if im am allowed to be there on my own.
*sparkle*
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Moose » Wed May 23, 2007 5:10 pm

I don't think work is in the wrong. In fact, it shows that they trust you and think you're doing a good job if you're left to set the alarm and lock up after just a short time with the company. A couple of jobs ago I was left to lock up and set the alarm after only a week, and it used to scare me loads, because I really hate alarms going off ( :oops: ) and my boss told me that if I set the alarm off, the police would be called automatically (this wasn't actually true). I was terrified of the place getting broken into over night and it being my fault. I got into such a state about it that I used to ask if I could practise a couple of times during the day if I knew I was going to be the last one there, and that really helped. If you're really getting concerned, have a chat with your boss and see if s/he can reassure you or maybe get someone else to stay with you until you're used to doing it on your own. If you don't shout, no one will hear you, and your boss will think you're happy setting the alarm and locking up.
Moose
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Fidel » Fri May 25, 2007 2:37 am

Main question - was it specified to you in your job description?
Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me.
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby *sparkle* » Fri May 25, 2007 9:13 am

im just the receptionist it is qiute creepy in here there is a very big wearhouse on the back of the office. any one can in get and sometimes im here on my own all day.
*sparkle*
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: is work in the wrong

Postby retrochav » Fri May 25, 2007 1:59 pm

Have a look at your job description, but be aware that there is often a clause along the lines of "undertake duties in line with the needs of the business..." its not a foolproof cop-out however, but you would need to prove it is an unreasonable practice to leave you on your own.

My advice would be to avise your boss that you do feel vulnerable working alone in the evening, and that his stock could be vulnerable if the wrong type of people were to know.

Ultimately, I would be asking wider questions. How supportive is your employer? Would you be better off finding a better position. Keep this in mind however: firstly the firm must trust you and think you are responsible. Secondly, lets not forget many female employees work alone and at unsociable hours. Its perhaps the downside of sexual equality!
whatever your problem someone else has been there and bears the scars.
retrochav
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Return to Work & Colleagues