JSA

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

JSA

Postby kacie » Fri May 25, 2007 12:10 pm

I am being made redundant next week, and am hoping to claim JSA while i look for a new job, but i am volunteering abroad during July, have will this effect my changs of getting it?
kacie
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Re: JSA

Postby retrochav » Fri May 25, 2007 1:52 pm

Claiming Contribution Based JSA (meaning you have paid national insurance contributions for one of the last two years at least) would not be affected by any redundancy payments you recieve. However, you would be expected to be ordinarily resident in the UK. Going away for one month, then returning to claim JSA would be fine. You couldnt claim JSA whilst abroad for a month because you have to sign on each fortnight and be ready to take a job with 24 hours notice.

Claiming income based JSA (meaning you havent paid enoungh national insurance contributions to claim the Contribution based JSA) is another matter. If your redundancy money is less than £6,000 then you are absolutely fine. If it is over £6,000 then £1 is deducted from your weekly JSA for every £250 that exceeds the £6,000. Spending money to bring it under the £6,000 limit could mean being hit by the "notional income rules". Assuming its a bog standard statutory redundency payment then the usual rules about having to be in the uk to sign on will apply.

If you have any problems with the Job Centre Plus please send me a private messsage and i will try to help you.
whatever your problem someone else has been there and bears the scars.
retrochav
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby kacie » Fri May 25, 2007 2:06 pm

I haven't been at the job long enough to get any redundancy money
kacie
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby retrochav » Wed May 30, 2007 10:28 pm

okay, so when you return from your travels apply for JSA. If your contribution record is complete you'll get contribution based JSA (bit more generous in job searching) if not you'll get income based JSA.

The money is exactly the same £59 and a few pence a week, but you can apply for housing benefit to cover your rent, and council tax benefit to cover that. If you need money in a hurry you can apply for an interest free "crisis loan" or if you have any health issues (deppression counts) you can try for a community care grant - private message me for advice.

Also look out for any discounts pubs and clubs offer if your on JSA. Colleges offer free courses too, but you can only do up to 16 hours a week study and must promise to drop it if you find a job. Do an evening class and you can say that you will find work durring the day, which keeps the DWP off your case!
retrochav
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby kacie » Thu May 31, 2007 11:27 am

I've phone them and my application is being processed and i've got an appointment at jobcenterplus on tuesday, but i should get it ok
kacie
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby retrochav » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:52 pm

Cant see you having a problem, beaware that if you need money in the interim you can apply for a crisis loan. You can only get 14 days worth of cash and you pay it back over 104 weeks.
retrochav
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Return to Work & Colleagues