work is getting me down

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

work is getting me down

Postby stellar » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:06 pm

hi everyone,

it took me 10 months to find a job related to my degree when i graduated, and now i've been here 7 weeks i'm finding it really stressful!
seemingly simple tasks i can't do and my supervisor often snaps at me. i've spent the last week re-doing work from weeks back as i did it wrong! it's very demoralising and has started to make me feel stupid which i'm pretty sure i'm not though i'm starting to think i am.

they're a fairly "good" bunch of people, and it's not a terrible job really but it's just making me stressed. i'm not eating properly and losing weight at an alarming rate. i've had a day off sick and gone home early twice because of migraine (induced by stress) and i have now been reprimanded over this. i don't know what to do because if i quit i'll have no job and thousands more graduates to compete with, but if i stay who knows what might happen?

any advice very much appreciated

stellar x
stellar
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Re: work is getting me down

Postby retrochav » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:07 pm

Not eating will give you migraines and make it harder to cope with work!

Supervisers snap because it reflects their own inadaquate training methods and human resources skills. This makes us more anxious and more prone to error. Next time tell them " yes i made an error, but i will now put it right" It acknowledges your mistake but shows you are capable of correcting it. Dont rush things, slow and accurate will get your speed up in time.

If you really cant cope you could always go to the GP and get signed off. This would be a last resort, but would buy you time to look elsewhere. If its any consolation, i started a new job in May and feel undermined and unvalued all the time. I have begun to get results which shuts people up, but its not a nice feeling nonetheless. I intend to stick it out for the reference, confident that within a year i will have turned it around and be sorely missed - and i will tell them why i am going to!
whatever your problem someone else has been there and bears the scars.
retrochav
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby stellar » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:05 pm

thanks for the advice retrochav, the mistakes i make are down to my supervisor's lack of skills required to properly train someone - she'll often tell me to do something then berate me later claiming "i didn't tell you that" - which she did, as i only ever do as i'm told due to my inexperience with the area, it made me smile when you said

Supervisers snap because it reflects their own inadaquate training methods and human resources skills

i feel very unsupported in my post and most of the people there are quite snobby, i feel as though they have made their mind up they don't want me there already. it doesn't help that someone who they liked is leaving and i can tell they wish it was me. i don't want to give in to these bullies because the job looks good on my cv and it qualifies me for what i really want, which is to do a phd. i don't have the money to do an msc but if i did i would be out of there like swim wear!

I feel torn because i need this job to get me where i want to be in life but at the same time i don't see why i should have to put up with this behaviour, i'm looking for other jobs but if i leave this one i'm leaving my chance of the future i want. the thing is, i don't mind the job when it's just me in the office! i don't know what to do :-?
stellar
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to Work & Colleagues