New Job and worried

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

New Job and worried

Postby bumblebee » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:32 am

I have just been offered a job for much more money than I am on now with bonus etc. I wasnt worried until I found out that I wont get a contract until after 3 months. Is this normal as I know the 1st three months are always a trial anyway. I cannot risk being sacked as I have car payments to make. Does anyone know where I would stan legally? I mean this is if worst comes to worst I could be ok..
bumblebee
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Weasley » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:16 am

Hi Bumblebee.
I am in the exact same situation with my job. I started around 2 months ago and was told there was a 3 month probabtion period before they decide to take me on properly with a contact etc. I think this is pretty normal as this means that in those 3 months if they are not happy with you, they can let you go without any notice and also if you are not happy then you can leave without giving any notice. I think a lot of jobs are the same, especially in the sales and marketing industry and to be quite honest, not a lot of people can hack sales so this protects both parties. I'm getting the feeling that yours is a sales based role as well? If so, this is pretty normal and nothing to worry about! At the end of the day, you wouldn't have been offered the job if they didn't think you were good enough! I posted on here a while ago when I first started my job with the same worries! Just keep busy, work hard and everything will be fine! The first 3 months are the most important really to create an impression, but the worst thing you can do is let it worry you! I had a chat with my boss about it and he reassured me. If you are really that worried and find you can't find your feet, have a chat with your boss. They will appreciate you more for this than rather just sitting there letting things build up. Hope this helps you!
xxx :)
Weasley
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby bumblebee » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:32 am

Thanks that makes sense I am just worried that I wont get paid for the time I work if they sack me as I they wont have signed anything!

Thanks
bumblebee
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Weasley » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:35 am

Have a chat with your boss if this worries you but usually they will pay you for the time you have worked if the unfortunate happens! My company does this so I'm sure yours will too! If they don't there are a number of things you can do, so unless you do get let go, I really wouldn't worry! Good luck with your new job!
xxx :)
Weasley
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:02 pm

If it doesn't work out you can always temp for a bit so you have enough to pay bills
And yes they do have to pay you your flat rate but not the bonus's
Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby queenieplum » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:03 pm

Hi BBee, I have never heard of starting any job with no contract - the probation period details would be part of this contract stating that notice from both parties would be say a week for eg. Also the contract would state the hours of employment and all other details that apply to the probation period too. This contract protects both the employer and employee, so its weird that you haven't got one. I would certainly enquire about this with the employer - if not with the Citizens Advice Bureau who can advise you of your legal rights.
Q
******Always look on the bright side of life******
queenieplum
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to Work & Colleagues