I don't know what to do!!!

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

I don't know what to do!!!

Postby seksiclaire » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:03 pm

Hi, i am in a no win situation here and i really need some advice. Right, well I left college at 18 with 4 A levels, but decided not to go to uni because I wanted to work - maybe the biggest mistake of my life? Well anyway i worked in Greggs for 2 years just weekends while i was at college and went sort of full time in the summer following my a levels, but decided i wanted to get onto a career path but didnt know what I wanted to do. My friend worked in an estate agents and somehow got me a job in there as a junior - that is the problem. I know juniors get all the duff jobs etc but i thought i could stick it out for a bit n then leave after 3 months experience, well 7 months on I am still here. I am on minimum wage, yet just about everybody at work is telling me i am doing too much work for what i am being paid, yet i am doing only what my manager is telling me, also there are 2 girls there who suck up to the manager and will go and tell on you if u make a little mistake, which usually ends up with me being took into her office and being "told off" for something which is so trivial - like forgetting to put a paperclip on a file. This happened on friday and i ended up in the toilets crying my eyes out i nearly walked out. i just feel like they are all against me, picking up on tiny things and making it a big thing so that i get told off, its like school. I am 21 years old on my next birthday and surely i dont deserve this? I feel like i am getting work overload, i mean usually I am really organised and can do work quickly but lately iv been finding myself struggling with it - doing other peoples jobs for my measly wage, while they are on 2-3 times more than me and i am making their jobs easier. My problem is that i darent open my mouth, because if i did it would end up in a massive argument and all come pounring out , probably swearing at them, and end up losing my job. Which probably wouldnt be a bad thing. The reason I said i was in a no win situation is because I have been applying for hundreds of jobs and havent heard ANYTHING from them, or the occasional unsuccessful letter. I want to hand my notice in tomorrow but I dont have a job to go to so i have no choice but to stick it out until i find another job. I just cant help feeling regret at not taking the chance to go to uni, I could have done really well and made something of myself as i did really well in my exams, and iv ended up here. Anyone else in the same situation? sorry to ramble on lol

Edited by Pwif: no swearing please, even with **. Thanks.
seksiclaire
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby captainf » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:23 pm

I don't really believe that you not going to uni has caused you to be in an unhappy position with your current place of employment. I knew a guy who had an engineering degree and stacked shelves in safeway for a living...

However unfortunate this is, welcome to the real world. Sometimes it can take people a few years to work their way up the rankings. You may think you're getting the short straw but many people start out with an average job with a poor wage, before moving on to something bigger and better when their experience allows them to.

I would suggest going to the job center and seeking advice on finding a new place of employment if you feel that unhappy.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby brfc » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:52 am

just a suggestion but if your on minimum wage why not go back to greggs until you can find something a bit better. if u enjoyed working there then that cant be to bad. takes time to find the right job. if there is such a thing lol. but im sure you,ll get there eventually :)
brfc
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Weasley » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:45 am

I went to Uni for 4 years and graduated last June and I still don't have a job in what I graduated in. I think Uni is overated - there are far too many people graduating a year than there are jobs. I was told in my last year that 60,000 people graduate a year in Graphic Design but there are only 10,000 jobs. A lot of employers I have been for interview with have asked me for experience and completely ignored my degree. All the adverts in the papers I have seen ask for "2 years experience". What was the point in me going to Uni? I feel like I have wasted 4 years of my life when I could have gone out straight after college and got a job and worked up. Don't regret not going to Uni, it's not all it's cracked up to be. Sure you're not getting paid much, but as Captain_Flynn said, it's a miserable fact of life that employers will try and expolit young people for as much as they can. but unfortunately if they are paying you minimum wage, there isn't much you can do. I would have a word with your boss, tell them how miserable you are and how you are thinking of leaving for something else. Don't hand your notcie in. In the meantime, keep looking for jobs - you may be able to apply for higher paid jobs using the experience you have already gained? Sell yourself - concentrate on the face that you have had this experience in the estate agents. There are a lot of jobs out there for estate agent receptionists. They are quite well paid and they always prefer people with experience in working within an estate agent atmosphere. Have a look at job websites. What would you have done at Uni? Have a look to see if you can maybe get some kind of apprenticeship! The world is your oyster - don't dwell on things that could have been. Make the best of the situation you have now, you know you can do so much better!
xxx :)
Weasley
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby LME79 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:12 pm

As Weasley said, look at the experience you have already gained. You could quite easily go to a recruitment consultant like Office Angels and you would be able to get some temp work. Saying that, as you have only had seven months experience, you will probably be unlikely to get anything higher than office junior. I might be wrong, but it's a fair warning :)

If you believe you have work overload, have you still got your job description? It could be worth seeing how much extra you are doing in comparison to what you are getting. I'm not saying become a total jobsworth that does totally what is on the job description and nothing else (after all, it will get you noticed if you do a little extra), but if you really are doing way more than what you were employed for then you have several choices.

1) Stay there on the same wage, i.e. keeping the situation as it is
2) Leave the company and get another role elsewhere with the experience you have gained, though please bear in mind what I said in the first paragraph
3) Talk to your manager about the situation; if you feel you are getting too much for what you are earning but are happy with the workload then you could organise a review with your manager to see how you are getting on. These are great, as it will give you and the manager a chance to lay all your cards on the table and be honest, without gossiping bullies that tell tales.

As for the tell tales - ignore them and rise above it. Work to the best of your ability while you are still there and show them you don't care. That will be the best 'revenge'.

Personally, I would try to stick it out until you have been there for at least a year (if you can), as this looks better on CVs - company loyalty.

Save the unsuccessful letters - you may find they will serve as motivation. Keep going, you'll get there!

Feel free to PM me :)
I want to be..a tree..
LME79

Postby Roscoe44 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:26 pm

If you want to stay in the field of estate agents, by all means stick with it. Chat with your manager about being over-loaded, it's THEIR job to manage your work-load.

I'm afraid office politics are present in every work-place you'll have to learn to deal with itas we all have. I usually let others get on with it in the smug knowledge I'm good at my job and I know it ;-)

Depending on your circumstances, you could try temping. It would depend on whether you had your own transport, and how big your monthly bills are. My dad was made redundant last year, he went temping and just kept asking every company he did some work for if they had any work going, he ended up employed permanently by one of these companies.

There are also a lot of internet jobs sites, fish4jobs, monsterjobs etc, get a CV typed up and registered, employment agencies could help there as well.

Above all other advice perhaps though, what job/area do you want to work in? If you know what area you'd like to work in, you can plan your career better.

Your local job centre should be able to help with career planning, also don't under-estimate your social networks. Let your friends know your job hunting, ask them to keep their eyes open.

In my work place the vacancies seem to be filled via word-of-mouth than by any recruitment policies!!

Good Luck!!
Roscoe44
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby seksiclaire » Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:18 pm

I recently had a pay review with my manager who told me i would not be getting a pay rise! Everybody else did except me and this other girl who is 10 years older than me and has only been there 3 months. So i applied for a job in a doctors and i have got an interview on wednesday :D. Answering your other questions though, I would have done sociology at uni as i got an A at a level in that and i really enjoyed the subject, and I think i want a career as a social worker or somebody who works with disadvantaged children/adults/domestic violence etc etc. I think that sort of job would suit me well, instead of being in sales which i totally hate. lol. I suppose most people will dislike their job to some degree, thats why we get money in return for it:P Also, the reason i wouldnt go back to greggs is because i had to work every sunday and now i have sundays off, also i would come home everyday with me hair smelling like cheese pastys lol, and i dont think i could go back :(. oh well. Thanks for your advice ill just see how this interview goes on wednesday and let u know xxx
seksiclaire
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby chat noir » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:11 pm

good luck with the interview :)
chat noir
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to Work & Colleagues