jealous

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

jealous

Postby miss_emma » Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:55 am

the majority of my collegues are at least 15-20 years older than me. i am 21 and work in an office and my collegues always make comments about the clothes and makeup that i wear for work and it is really starting to upset me. they say that i look like i am off out clubbing when i go into work and laugh if i am wearing a short skirt or high heels, low cut tops etc. i dont think my clothes and makeup look tarty but their comments really get me down. i dont think that i should change the way i look because of what other people think... i just dont know what to do.
please help
thanks in anticipation.X
miss_emma
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby brfc » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:02 pm

i always say people can take me or leave me. just be yourself and wear the things you want to wear. you dont have to change just cause of a few silly people who should know better.
brfc
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby X_Smiler_X » Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:44 pm

This is scarily similar to what I go through at work. I'm also your age, and the others are mid mid 40's to late 50's. The comments get silly, but I've had to take it on my chin. My manager treats the other woman I work with like a diamond, but me completely different, and I'm convinced its because I'm younger.

Try and ignore it, I know its hard, but remember you obviously look alot better than them! I'm convinced its jealousy, and it sounds the same with you.

K x
Smile at life, and life will smile back at you.
X_Smiler_X
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby crazeymunkey » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:57 pm

wat a shame,ignoring it is really hard and generally doesnt work if things tend to get you down so your best of confronting it to them if your not the type of person to do that by telling them to mind ther own business or watever you could tel them just to stop hassleing you. but wat i find does the trick is just becoming over friendly with them, like make friends with the enemies that kind of thing, if you cant beat them join them!
crazeymunkey
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: jealous

Postby retrochav » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:30 am

why not ask them to bring in photos of when they were young? You (and hopefully they) will see that mini skirts, high heeels, hot pants, etc were all the rage through the years. My mother used to wear skirts so short when i was a kid the world was her gynocologist! Nan wore blouses so tight her breats put in for a transfer. They werent dressing up for clubbing , these were everyday outfits.

Some older women feel threatened and unattractive when they see reminders of themselves. They witch to reassure each other that they are sensible and concerned - rather than bitter!!!

Gay guys are just as bad! I get called mutton dressed as lamb all the time and i'm only 33. I purposely always praise my younger mates telling them that they should express themselves however they want so that when they get older like me they will have a thick enough skin to cope.

You will find that insecurity often brings out cattiness in people. Recognise who has the problem and think "when you pay my rent and wages you can tell me what to do - until then look in the mirror and reflect!"
whatever your problem someone else has been there and bears the scars.
retrochav
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:36 pm

I just thing their plain jealous because your young and have waht they have lost

Stick with your own sense of style and next time they say you look like your going clubbing just say I am but not today
Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Return to Work & Colleagues