Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules


Postby usually_lost_girl » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:10 am

i'm really angry at work today!!! More and more lately i feel they pay me badly (15,000pa when other degree educated experienced proffessionals like me are getting at least 18,000) and don't give me as much respect as i deserve (make me work weekends and only give me days in loo in return - and then not the ones i deserve is just one example) I can't get another job like this in this area - i'd have to move away or change career. Am i just being ungrateful? If i stood up for myself they could easily find someone to replace me who is willing to be walked all over because this job market is saturated! Arrrgh - they've made me mad today by making me cancel an appointment. I think they might just be taking advantage because they know they're in a position of power because they know how difficult these jobs are to get, and i'm letting them get away with it cos i know it too.

I feel i may have found myself in a position where i'm gonna have to like it or lump it. I'm not happy with either, but what can i do?????
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:40 am

Postby Bev » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Read your contract if you have one. Companies have the duty to pay you the amount you are contracted for. Your hours and rates of pay should be on your contract. If you do not have a copy of your contract, ask for a copy.

Even if you complained to them about your hours and rate of pay, they couldn't sack you without a good reason, if they did you could take them to court for unfair dismissal.

Being at the end of a company thats abusing its power is the most maddening thing anyone can go through. Have a word with your colleagues if you are friends with them, ask them about their rate of pay.

The other thing to do is keep a diary of the hours you work and then when you get paid check the amount with the hours you have done.

You have the right to be able to stand up for yourself at work. They can not sack you for standing up for yourself.

If you really do not feel like you can talk to anyone at work about it, then as a suggestion go and see your local citizens advice bureau, they will be able to help you with getting around this problem.

In the meantime, keep a diary of your hours and anything that you feel is out of the ordinary. This will help you in future if you do decide that you wish to take your grievance further at work.

Hope you get it sorted out soon for you and hope i've helped.
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:20 pm
Location: Chesterfield Derbyshire

Postby invinciblecocobean » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:13 am

Best thing I can think of is if you are a member of a union, talk to your union rep about these extra hours and lower pay. Your right, graduates with degrees should earn minimun of £18,000.
Just Landed
Just Landed
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:56 am

Postby Moose » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:53 am

invinciblecocobean wrote: Your right, graduates with degrees should earn minimun of £18,000.

There is no special minimum wage for graduates. It depends on the field of work you're in, your work experience, and the part of the country you're in.
User avatar
Taken Root
Taken Root
Posts: 2003
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:41 pm
Location: A forest
Gender: Female

Return to Work & Colleagues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest