advice for answers in interviews

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

advice for answers in interviews

Postby xfayelouisex » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:13 pm

i wrote a topic on this a while ago which is still on hear about failing my probation period etc. now ive been looking for employment since june and i feel im not getting jobs because they feel im not going to be any good, i say that it was a mutual agreement to end the employment because i wasn't happy there and my employer picked up on it, and when they ask why i wasn't happy their i told them that there wasn't enough jobs for me to do, it wasn't challanging or enjoyable. i went for a interview and i was told i din't get the job because she wasn't convinced by me, and my gaps in my employment i have a 5 month gap beteween my 1st job and my second then a 8 month gap between my second job and third, and now i have a 3 month gap because i failed my probation period, and also she feels im not motivated and ready to be back in work how did she determine that, i reserched there company the night before and told her a little history about the company what products they sold what sizes etc. and i even said i want to be back in work, and that there company sounded like a great oppertunity, i am so down on myself coz im so desparte for a job, i've signed on and im with 4 agencys and applying for loads of jobs but i feel because of my gaps and reasons for them they won't hire me, i don't see how i can over come this one.
any ideas?
mus:- i don't know much but i know i love you and that maybe all i need to know.
xfayelouisex
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby brfc » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:23 pm

all i can sugest is keep trying also i know itd be hard but next time try to stick with a job if you dont like it whilst finding find a new job or else like you say potential employees would be put off that you left jobs after a few months and had large gaps in beetween. they like too see a continuos employment record. good luck my dear :D brfc x
brfc
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Bel Bel » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:20 am

If your feeling down your probably giving off body langauge that she picked up on
Why dont you get temporary work or at least voluntary work. As an employer it shows you are willing to work and not just sitting at home
You can get temporary work that is part time so you still have plenty of time to look for a peemanent job.
Also temporary work can often lead to being offered a job within that organisation
At least you will be earning some money too
Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Re: advice for answers in interviews

Postby retrochav » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:16 pm

Job interviews are a minefield and as Bel Bel says, many interviewers look at body langague as much as verbal communication.

Dont get tied up in knots about performance at interviews though. Do some voluntary in a field that could relate - charity shops for retail, admin at a charity for office work, shaking a tin for direct sales jobs!

Voluntary work gives you something relevant - its shows great initiative and gets you a current refference. It also may give you an edge over someone who has the same skills as you.

Dont dwell at interview about why you left a job. Simply state that you enjoyed the job, but it was a temporary contract. Why say more than that. Tell them it gave you a feel for this type of work and you would like something permanant to build on.

Remeber that for every job there will be many disappointed souls - over a million are offically unable to find work at present, and many more dont sign on, so its not a reflection on you in the slightest.

Getting an interview is one step further than many people get. In time you will connect and get a job, so dont beat yourself up about this. Most of us have faced or will face unemployment for longer periods than we hoped, and find work in time.
whatever your problem someone else has been there and bears the scars.
retrochav
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Return to Work & Colleagues