Maternity Leave Problems

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Maternity Leave Problems

Postby Louby » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:38 pm

Hi, I am four months pregnant - almost five. I have always had a good working relationship will all of my work colleagues. Most of whom are very happy that I am expecting and have offered kind words of support and advice, however our department manager has been putting a lot of stress onto me and asking me to take on additional tasks over the last couple of weeks. I always have to fight to get my tea and lunch breaks on time and recently I have noticed that there is a lot of pressure about the maternity leave issue.

She has asked me several times when I plan on going off and how long I plan to take. I am legally entitled to take 39 weeks (9 months) and I plan to use this time to bond with the baby and get used to being a Mother (this is my first baby) but I am being made to feel guilty about taking this time.

I was even asked to make up the time I had taken off for my maternity appointments until I pointed out that I was entitled to paid time off for these appointments and visits. I am looking for an easy way to resolve this issue without having to take things further. I know I could go above her head and make a complaint but I am ensure as to whether this would make my life more difficult in the long run as it is just me and our department manager based in the one office on our own.

Also if anyone knows any details about the money side of maternity pay it would be appreciated - I keep asking but my department manager has held this information back from me for quite some time now and everytime I ask for it I get some petty excuse.

Thanks.
Louby
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby pink stripes » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:11 pm

hello :)

First of all - congrats on your pregnancy :D

With regards to work side of things - you sould not be made to feel guilty about having time off to bond with your baby - you are entitled to this time so take it :)

If your department manager is still putting additional stress that isn't required ask her to stop - it's not fair especially as your pregnant.

You also have a right to know how much you will be paid for maternity leave - so why not arrange a meeting with your manager to talk it through? If you are still having problems with your department manager you could also bring this up in the meeting if you can arrange one?

take care

--x
pink stripes
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby kitten » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:14 pm

Congratulations. I know a little about this as a colleague is pregnant and I've been looking into it as I've come off the pill.

Maternity pay is something like 90% of your salary for the first six weeks or £112.75 which ever is more.

Then £112.75 (again not sure on figure) thereafter.

You are legally entitled to time off for midwife etc appointments and you should not be discrimated against for being pregnant - there are laws I believe against this.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/ ... G_10029290

The site above is very helpful. You are also not obiliged to tell them if you plan to return to work or not but I believe there is a set time by which you need to tell them when you will be starting maternity leave - again above link is very helpful.
kitten
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Louby » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:22 pm

Thanks for the information. I have now calculated (on my own) exactly how much I will get paid and what I am entitled to. Obviously I will be eligible to apply for other benefits after the baby is born. But in the meantime I have contacted a representative from HR.

I have just asked for advice on completion of the forms etc, but I am hoping that this sends the right messages to my manager i.e. I will not be a pushover and I'll take what I'm entitled to.

On a much happier note I have recently felt my baby more / kick for the first times :lol: Thanks again x
Louby
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby pink stripes » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:14 pm

Louby wrote:On a much happier note I have recently felt my baby more / kick for the first times :lol: Thanks again x

Aww that's great :D

--x
pink stripes
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby kitten » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:10 pm

I'm glad you are sorting it out. And how wonderful to feel the baby. :D
kitten
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby TheSaneOne » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:25 pm

How's it going now? Did they force you out or did you manage to hang on in there?
TheSaneOne
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Work & Colleagues