why wont anyone give me a job? is it down to me?

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

why wont anyone give me a job? is it down to me?

Postby jess123 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:58 pm

hi,
as you may know i live in london with my boyfriend and im 18 years old.
i have been looking for a job for while and i dont seem to be getting anywhere!!
i have been going on the job centre website everyday looking for work, i have handed my CV in lots of places and been to connexions for help.
but i dont seem to be getting any resposnes!!
my boyfriend is a uni and doesnt have a job either, we are ok for money atm coz he has his uni loan but he paid debts off with that so it wont last much longer.
what can i do? its starting to get me down.
jess123
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Yellowcoaching » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:10 pm

Has anyone ver given you feedback as to why you haven't been chosen?
It could be a lack of experience for example or they may feel you are over qualified.

I don't know what kind of work you are looking for but perhaps sign up with a couple of recruitment agencies to get some temp work if nothing else. That way you are getting paid, gaining experience and have the opportuntiy to network and be made aware of job opportunities that you might otherwise miss.

Best of luck, I'm sure this can be very frustrating!
You only get one life; I can help you make the most of it.
Yellowcoaching
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby jess123 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:14 pm

i havent even be getting calls after interviews ect.
i am looking for reception work as i have work in this field for a year before. i have also signed up for 3 angenices but heard NOTHING from them!
yes it is very annoying as i get SOOO bored while my boyfriend is at uni.
im running out of ideas to be honist.
jess123
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Yellowcoaching » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:21 pm

You could try chasing up the agencies I suppose or widening the kind of work you're willing to consider?

It might be worth getting in touch with the local job centre, they can sometimes give you advice on CV's and interview techniques although I think you said connextions are helping you and they do much the same (I think)

The other option if you are bored but not broke is volunteering short term, again it helps with experience and so on but won't do much for your bank balance!

Keep at it something will turn up eventually, you could always try something completely different while you look for the reception work?
Yellowcoaching
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:46 pm

Personally I always think being in work makes you more employable.
I am always a bit suspicious that someone is lazy if they are not doing something, not suggesting you are though.
So I would agree with yellowcoaching and get some temp work or voluntary work even if it's not doing what you usually do
Often you do have to chase agencies up and they may have put you on the bottom of there list as you have been too specific so tell them you'll do anything that pays
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby jess123 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:21 pm

i have an interview on monday!!! :D
for a nursery, working with children :D if i get it i will have to go to a different place one day a week, so its an apprenticeship.
any ideas to make sure i get it??
jess123
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Yellowcoaching » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:30 pm

Be smart and on time ( that's a given)
Show enthusiasm for the subject and have some answers prepared as to why you are attracted to the role and what you can bring to it. Being a team player is often a good one.
Let them know you are interested in further training oppportunities and value the experience working in various locations will give you.

Best of luck for Monday
Yellowcoaching
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby missyx » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:54 pm

I worked with children for years - in a nursery school, at a children's sports group then later in a play centre. Great fun but hardest I've ever worked in my life!

Be bright, bubbly, cheerful and enthusiastic. Have some examples of how you have experience with kids - if you haven't worked with them before, have you babysat for friends or got younger brothers or sisters?

As yellowcoaching says, BE ON TIME. I've refused to hire people purely on the basis they were minutes late for an interview.

Don't be negative in any way - don't say bad things about a previous boss, and don't make it sound like you won't want to do the nastier part of the job.

Have some ideas about things you could do with the kids if the interviewer asks - educational games, etc.

Prepare some answers to popular interview questions - why you want to work here, what can you offer, why should they hire you, and your good and bad points. If you get asked 'what are your weaknesses' (I hate that question!), don't say 'I haven't got any' (far too cocky), but don't say things like 'I'm always late'. Go for something that can be given a positive spin, or at least make sure you add a positive point - like 'I'm not good at x, but I'm working to improve that'.

Be yourself, but the best version of yourself - keep your language clean and polite, but make sure you appear friendly.

Oh, and have a question to ask. It shows you are keen. Even just something like how many kids would I be working with.

The very best of luck - let us know how you get on.
Missy
x
missyx
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby jess123 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:29 pm

hi
well i had my interview at the nersary.
and it was VERY short!! it lasted about 2mins at the most.
so i dont think that is a very good sign.
but she said i done very well and winked at me when i left and said she would let me know. so im a bit confused.
i have another interview today to be a receptionist at a leisure centre as well
jess123
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Yellowcoaching » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:15 pm

There are opportunties coming your way all the time. At this rate you'll be the one choosing from the job offers!
Yellowcoaching
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby missyx » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:12 pm

The last quick interview I had, I got the job - I was convinced that I hadn't got it, but it turned out that it was short because I'd said exactly what they wanted to hear! So don't lose hope.

And good luck in the next interview too.
Missy
x
missyx
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

hi

Postby jess123 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:18 pm

just to keep you up dated...
i have just had a phone call and have been offered a job as a receptionist at a doctors surgery!!! i start on monday!!! :D
im so happy.
thanks for you advice
xx
jess123
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:56 pm

well done jess123 =D>
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby Yellowcoaching » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:49 pm

Congratulations Jess X
Yellowcoaching
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby jess123 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:12 pm

thanks but the only thing is i havent asked about the money :-?
any ideas on how i can find out with out being rude or to faward?
jess123
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Next

Return to Work & Colleagues