mis - understanding!

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

mis - understanding!

Postby bubble&squeak » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:24 pm

Hi Everyone, Not really sure if anyone can help but here goes! Basically on Thurs it was my b-day and i was e-mailing one of my friends from another Co. at work (this is fine my Co are pretty laid back) anyway i get on with my boss really well normally, and she came out to reception (i'm a receptionist!) and said the girls in switchboard have got you a present i'll cover for you while u go out! i wasnt expecting anything and forgot to minimise my screen when i left so my personal e-mail was up! (thick i know!)now sounds weird but i have a friend who never calls anyone by their name, we are stupid and mess about and earlier on my friend had said 'is ya boss gonna let ya go early?' and i had said i dunno yet, hope so as it's mi b-day (she normally does if its your birthday!) and in her reply along with loadsa stuff she said "make sure the moose lets you go early" this was nothing personal what so ever to my boss it is just the sort of thing my friend would say. my boss asked if she had meant her as she had seen it on my screen and i said yes, but it wasnt personal...she got REALLY upset and funny with me...walked off. i e-mailed her expaling it was nothing personal it's just what we're like etc, she has never met my boss so how can she she bad mouth her etc! she then e-mailed me saying she was upset and what have i been saying about her for my friend to call her that etc....i really dont know what to do as i get on with her really well, it honestly wasnt personal and i havent called her anything as i actually do really like her. she hasnt spoken to me since!? any ideas what i can do??! it has upset me as i feel i cant do anything to make her realise even tho i have explained as best i can. help!? :(
bubble&squeak
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Re: mis - understanding!

Postby retrochav » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:40 pm

Oh hell, this is a problem!

I think the best thing to do is write her a card and appoligise, tell her that you feel awful about it and wish you could have turned back time and told your friend not to use such terms - you were busy and didnt have time to say more than a couple of words. Advise her that you really appreciate her as a friend, not just a manager and hope she will forgive in time.

Its maybe all you can do
whatever your problem someone else has been there and bears the scars.
retrochav
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby W00p!!! » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:25 pm

Yeh i agree send her a card or somthin. Im sure things are bound to sort themselves out eventually. Just make sure she dosnt sake you =p!!!
W00p!!!
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby peecee » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:35 pm

Totally agree with retrochav, but can you actually do what he said in person, rather than by a card? I think it will have much more impact, and she can see how sincere you are. Tell her you need to speak to her in private; if she agrees, you're halfway there. Tell her exactly what retrochav said, then leave her to think about it. If she doesn't agree to see you (and she would be fairly unprofessional if she didn't!), write that card.

If I were your boss, it wouldn't take me long to realise that I would value you too much as a friend and a colleague to bear a grudge for more than 2 minutes... :D

Don't despair, sweet pea. I hope she's grown up enough to stop sulking soon... :)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Shine your light and let the whole world see.
peecee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby bubble&squeak » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:50 am

Thanks for all your replies. Yes I think I will ask to speak to her in person and in private. She is off sick today and had to call me to let me know and she didn't sound too bad. I am hoping she is not holding a grudge, i said that i think she is great and i know i am lucky to have her as a manager!
Thanks for all your views :-) xxxx
bubble&squeak
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby harleywhitefort » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:18 am

A card and a bunch of flowers.

Hope that works.
harleywhitefort
Just Landed
Just Landed

Return to Work & Colleagues