To leave or not to leave job? Dilemma!

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

To leave or not to leave job? Dilemma!

Postby Jackie » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:19 pm

I am in a teaching job and have been for the last seven years. I teach languages and in that timehavebuilt up fantastic realtionships with the students and colleagues. However in the last year I so I began to get itchy feet and thought 'is this where I'm going to be in forty years?' and felt quite depressed at the thought. I also teach drama, although it'sa very small part of my timetable but immensely rewarding and something I'd like to do more of. In short it's creative and always defferent wheras the rest of what I teach is getting to be pretty mundane and will always be the same. I found a course that I thought was right upmy street about a year ago and it has been my goal to enroll for this course ever since I discovered it. It's a part time course(a masters) so i would be attending lectures every alternate Friday afternoon and Saturday. Yesterday I spoke tm boss about getting Friday afternoons off and he was very ify about it and said he couldn't guarantee it. Howvever then he mentioned job sharing which means I would work half the hours I work now, for half the money. Which means studying and working would be very do-able, as I have been quite nervous about working and studying at the same time. Howver this means that I will not have as much money and I was also hoping to buy a house. I havebeen living with mys sister for the last three years and while we get on for the most part she has a slight drink problem which rears its ugly head every so often. I thought that by having my own place I would have some peace at last. And I could cope with the morgatge repayments by having a lodger. So this is my dilemma: should I keep my fulltime job and enroll for the course and have less money worries but no time free OR go half hours and study but possibly have some money worries? I know that I'm the only one who can decide this but feelI just need some objective feedback. Please. :roll: :roll:
Jackie
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby missyx » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:22 pm

You are right in that you are the only person who can decide this, but if it was me, I'd go for it. I'd hate to look back in 10 years time and think, if only I'd done that...

As for money worries, I'm sure you'll cope if it's something you really want to do. Have you considered moving out and renting rather than buying? You could always have a lodger to help with expenses if you wanted to take that route.

Go for it. You never know until you try.
Missy
x
missyx
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby spacegirl » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:44 am

most masters courses have a part time option, is this an option with this one? if so, it just means that your course will be spread over two years with more flexible teaching times. if i were you i would go for the masters. even if you're working a lot of hours and studying a lot, it will be a hard year but once it's over you will be so happy you did it. i'm gong back this year to do a masters degree, and working full time at the same time. like you, i dread being stuck in the same old mundane job forever and i can't wait to get back to learning again, towards something that i really want to do. As missy said, you could move out and rent, it's only for a year, you could always aim to buy a house when your more settled and know exactly what you're doing.
not if you were the last dandy on earth
spacegirl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:41 pm

missyx has suggested some good options but you could alos get a part time job at the weekends to help with cash
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Return to Work & Colleagues