Compassionate leave rights?

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Compassionate leave rights?

Postby Pepsi » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:57 pm

I am not sure if this is the right section for this problem so please feel free to move it.
I am asking this question on behalf of a friend, Her husband as just had a heart attack and has been working through her breaks so she can leave early to go see him. (The company is really funny about people taking time off.) She has been doing this for the past 2 weeks and now has been told that she must stay all day or she will be sacked. She is very upset about this (as you would be) and is wondering what are her rights?
This company is very sneaky when it comes to law and don't like to pay people when they are off (we don't get sick pay) and you have to beg to get your holidays in.
Pepsi
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby sunshine girl » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:22 pm

They don't sound like the best people to work for! You are entitled to 'Time off for Dependants' to deal with emergencies at home (a spouse counts as a dependant). There is some pretty good guidance on this on the citizens advice bureau website and they're always a good first stop for things like this. It's definitely worth having a look, if this sort of thing is widespread then it might be worth having a think about letting your bosses know you're not happy about it or getting another job!
sunshine girl
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby Pepsi » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:51 pm

I have told my friend to get in contact with the CAB and hopefully they can tell her where she stands.
Pepsi
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby TheSaneOne » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:28 pm

I got a bit slated on another post as there is a colleague at my work who had something similar happen to them.

What was your friend's conduct like before this? Was it good or were there dramas pervious?

How long has she been there?

How long since the heart attack?

People may think i am mean but I can understand people becoming fed up and am adding all this as devil's advocate.
TheSaneOne
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Pepsi » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:22 am

Her husband's heart attack was about 3 weeks ago.

I believe she has been with the company for over 10 years (she was here long before me) and works really hard as she is the only receptionist so often works through her lunch when nobody can cover switchboard.

She has won employee of the month (when they did it) loads, so I don't think that the company has problems with her work and everyone likes her because she is so friendly :-)

The only other drama she has has is last year when her daughter was seriously ill hospital and had an 5% survival rate, she took some afternoons off to go see her. (her daughter survived btw and is slowly recovering at home now). I know it's a pain for the company when people are off but it can't be helped if people are ill.
Pepsi
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Yellowcoaching » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:09 pm

Pepsi wrote:I have told my friend to get in contact with the CAB and hopefully they can tell her where she stands.

Good advice I think employment law should protect her somewhat but it's for the best if she gets advice at this stage from someone trained and the CAB can do that.

Well done for being so supportive of your friend at what must be a tricky time for her. I think her family should have a higher priority than work and from what you've said she doesn't take time off for nothing, but has had a couple of awful health problems. Better to deal with them and lose the job in my view than lose the family member.
You only get one life; I can help you make the most of it.
Yellowcoaching
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Pepsi » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:20 pm

I think that the nicest thing that has come out of this is that everyone is sticking up for her. If she left because of this I can see it causing uproar and I am sure even this company is not that stupid to upset all it's staff.
Pepsi
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby TheSaneOne » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:54 pm

Okay then, from what you have said about her friend and her service the company are totally out of order. Is it one person who is on her back? She may just be experiencing the thinking of one person and the general feeling may be different.

We only get 1 day compasionate leave at work here so not all companies give a lot. She should consider saying she needs leave for stress due to her husband's heart attack and the stress of pressure at work. Play them at their own game and watch them all back off.
TheSaneOne
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Pepsi » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:58 am

It's the new MD who is giving her the trouble, he is an ex lawer and thinks he can get away with murder cause he knows the system back to front. The other MD's don't say anything to him cause it's like they are almost scared of him. He goes around telling us that if we leave it's no loss cause everyone is replaceable. He is just not a nice guy.
Hopefully my friend contacted the CAB this weekend.
Pepsi
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Pastagirl » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:15 pm

From experience i find the better employee you are the more you are walked upon. I think this is because management often know that you as a good employee you will accept what they say and often they know you won't complain about anything. Whereas the employee who swings the lead then has days off here, there and everywhere gets everything as management are afraid of complaints as these type of people often know their rights and exercise them.
Your friend deserves to be treated compassionately and if her employers had any sense they would do what is right and also realise a good worker when the've got one.
I agree with the SaneOne, play them at their own game then they'll be worse off. If your friend is genuinly under stress then she can go to her GP who will give her a note and then the company will have no choice but to allow her to have time off. They will then have to cope withoput a good worker but not be able to replace her as she can't be sacked for being sick!
Pastagirl
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Work & Colleagues