Was really sick, not skiving

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Was really sick, not skiving

Postby Cara » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:09 pm

I have been at my job for 8 months with no time off sick. The last few days I have been ill and have a rash over my whole body.

I know the people at work all call each other and if someone is off sick they all go to town critizising making out that they are skiving and not really sick.

I have been off for three days now and intend to go back tomorrow. They think that I just have a rash and I can hear them now saying " Can she not work with a rash?"

I dont feel that I have to explain to all the staff in the building the in's and outs of MY illness.

I know I should ignore it, but it makes me feel so guilty, its like I have not really been ill and I HAVE been skiving!

Does anybody else feel the same and does anyone have any quick witted comments that I could make in reply to any unwanted comments.?

Thanks for listening
Cara
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby misskrystal » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:19 pm

Tell them that their sympathy throughout your illness has been appreciated. Really though, sick days are there for a reason. Even if a person simply needs a day off, that one day could make a huge difference to that persons well being.

The only real advice I can offer is to make sure you are not involved in this type of gossip. It's unhelpful and will lead to bad feeling in the office. You co-workers have absolutely no right to speculate on someone else's health.

You were genuinely ill. That's all that matters.
misskrystal
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Cara » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:23 pm

Thanks misskrystal, you are right and I will be ready for the first comment. I dont get involved in any of their office gossip, they are all so two faced towards each other.

I will go to work with my head high tomorrow!!!
Cara
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby TheSaneOne » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:23 pm

Always make an appearance on a Monday, even if you are dying. Then go home. People gossip, but that's life innit. Good luck and hope your rash clears up. Next time take photos and bore them all on your return.
TheSaneOne
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Work & Colleagues