Workplace bullying - want to leave, but feel I cannot

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Postby snail » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:42 pm

Glad to hear things have moved on a bit, Popkin. Now you can get on with the rest of your life. 8)
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby all_apologies » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:23 pm

Popkin wrote:Hello my friends - thank you for all your support and good wishes. Here's another update:

HR told me there would be a grievance meeting w/c 6th June, but by Wed of that week when I hadn't heard anything, I phoned them (yet again) and they said it wouldn't happen that week. When I told them that they had treated me badly - by not keeping me updated, and giving me the 'run around' [ACAS words) - they said they HAD been keeping me posted. However, only when I was so left in the dark that I had to keep writing letters and ringing THEM! The last straw was when I phoned again re. the grievance meeting date to be asked "Haven't you got our letter yet?'. No I had not. I asked them if they would accept an immediate resignation instead of 1 weeks notice given the circumstances, and they said they would BUT that my resignation and the grievance are totally separate! :o

I waited a few more days for this letter - it never arrived. I phoned them again, asking them to read it to me over the phone. They said they would. I heared some mutterings in the background, and then the HR person returned and said she couldn't as my file was with someone in a meeting. At that point - after all their stringing me along - I told them that I resign and that my last day is tomorrow. I backed this up in writing. On the Monday, I received a voicemail message from HR asking me to attend a grievance meeting that week. I did not respond - I did not know what to do. :(

Yesterday I received a letter from HR inviting me to a grievance meeting -but saying that they are booked up for the next few weeks! The reason for inviting me thought, is that I have made "several grievances" against HR, and that they would "consider" what I have to say, and take notes and follow procedures. [i.e. NOTHING about the bullying, which started the whole thing off]. What is going on? I do not know how to respond to this letter, or whether in fact I should (I am very unfortunately NOT a union member). :(

I signed on for JSA allowance on Friday, and was told that I 'chose' to leave my job. I told them I left on ill-health grounds due to the workplace bullying and that my GP would support me. I attached my letters and basically scribbled a statement [like I was a criminal]. I was told they would NOT be contacting my GP, and also that to claim under the NI contribution route, I would have needed to work "continously" for the last 2 financial years. (My work history has been patchy in the last 4 years). :oops:

Before I signed on, - because I was so worried - I actually contacted the Processing office and asked them whether I had made sufficient NI contributions - they said yes (although it depends on the adjudicators decision re. good cause to leave). However, this was after one person told me they calculate the last THREE years and not two, and then another person corrected her.

I am very worried: I left this job on the grounds of ILL HEALTH: the bullying was distressing and really affecting me. Now, it looks like I may not receive any financial support whilst job hunting. During my time off, I actually managed to get my head round to applying for several jobs, but never got interviews, and never worked. :cry:

Before I attended my first JSA meeting, I had to register by phone. They wanted to know my savings and so I told them (I'm just above the low income threshold). I feel very angry they know this, as I feel that them knowing this has encouraged them to dig their heels even more into me. What they do NOT know is that I have never contributed to any pension of any kind for over 8 years - as I've never had any money. :oops:

What do people think? this is really affecting me and my confidence.

I really appreciate everyone replies and responses, and am sorry this all seems negative. I am very unhappy and am shocked that - despite being the 'top performer' (which pales into insignificance now) - I haven't worked or earned anything for 7 months now..... x

Bel Bel wrote:I really think you need some proper advice on this so I would suggest the citizens advice

Popkin wrote:I'm now taking legal advice under my insurers.
all_apologies
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snail » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:36 am

Have you managed to get any legal advice yet, Popkin? What happened in the end about the JSA - I didn't quite understand from your post whether they were going to allow you to receive it or not?

Keep us updated. I don't know about the others, but even if I don't have time to post a reply immediately, I always read your posts as soon as they appear.
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Popkin » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:00 pm

Hi Snail & All,

Legal Advice: one lawyer says he could write a few letters only - but that is all & charges 25% od any money recovered.

JSA: I've a meeting on Monday, and shall submit more of a statement for leaving. I'm not sure if I'll received anything as I am still awaiting the adjudiactors response.
Things do not feel very good at the moment...
Popkin
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Popkin » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:58 pm

Hi All,

JSA people sent me a letter yesterday saying that I shall be receiving JSA. BUT then this morning, got another letter from them saying my application was doubtful as I left voluntarily - even though I maintained I did not!

The lawyer is writing HR a letter. I suspect this will enflame HR even more, and they will try to ensure I do not receive any benefit.

I have arranged to do voluntary work - starts in about 1 weeks time.
Popkin
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby snail » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:22 pm

Good news about the voluntary work, Popkin!! What will you be doing?

Fingers crossed about the JSA . . . sounds more hopeful than not, anyway . . . . :)
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Popkin » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:41 am

Its 2 days in one library, and another 2 days in another. Think this should be okay, as they are both non-profit organisations.
Popkin
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby snail » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:02 am

Nice one! Right up your street :D
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Work & Colleagues