Pay Dilemma

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Pay Dilemma

Postby CrystalStarr » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:19 pm

Thank you for all your help. Everything was swiftly sorted :)
Last edited by CrystalStarr on Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrystalStarr
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby lidopig » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:06 pm

Hi CrystalStarr,
It's not very nice when you find out something like this,is it? You feel undervalued and a whole bag of mixed emotions.There may be a totally innocent explanation to this.It could be a simple mistake.However,your way of dealing with this depends on several things.
How big is the company? Do they have an HR/personnel department? Do you have a job title/description? Is it the same as the new girl? She may appear to be doing the same job,but there may be slight differences that you don't know about.Before you "go in with all guns blazing" I think you need to answer some of those questions.You can bring the question up with your boss (if you feel able to) HR/personnel.Does the company have a union representing staff? Are you a member? Seek advice/join if there is.If it is a small firm with no job descriptions etc,you may find it difficult to prove,let alone get recompensed.Your last resort would be to resign and claim constructive dismissal because of the pay differential (which may be difficult to prove). If you enjoy your job,would that be "cutting your nose off to spite your face?"
I'm no expert in industrial relations,my ramblings are only my own thoughts,I'm sure there are more experienced/knowledgeable people out there...... I'm just the first to reply!!
Good luck,try and answer some of the questions,then others may be able to help you more.
lidopig
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby CrystalStarr » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:32 pm

Hi thanks for the reply. Just to answer a few questions:-

Yes it's a large company and they do have a HR dept.
My job title/description is exactly the same as the new girl's and we do exactly the same things in our job, except I sometimes oversee the dept. when my immediate boss is off on holiday/sick.
I feel like I can talk to my boss about it, but I just don't want to cause trouble for myself as I do like the job, or this girl, but I feel like it's a bit unfair. I'm just worried about any negative consequences by bringing this to my boss' attention, but on the other hand I don't really want to keep quiet about it.
Also, I think we may have a union rep but I have received little info about this and I'm not a member.
CrystalStarr
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby LME79 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:31 pm

Would you be able to ask your boss for a job review? If you are overseeing the dept when your line manager is absent that's extra responsibilty - if you make a list of what you did when you joined and what you do now, you'll be able to see that you deserve a rise. This also means that you won't have to point out that you know about the other girl's salary (if you don't want to bring it up, that is). When I was going through a similar situation I e-mailed my boss with something like this:

"Dear X,

As I have been here for [insert length of employment], I feel that it would be beneficial to myself and to the company if I could arrange a short meeting with you in order to review my performance, to discuss what could be improved and how I have progressed since joining [insert company]

Many thanks,/Kind Regards/etc,

[name]"

Good luck!
I want to be..a tree..
LME79

Return to Work & Colleagues