In a mess

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

In a mess

Postby Popkin » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:24 pm

Hi Everyone,

This continues my previous thread. I really need some advice.

I've an interview for a library job in a few days time and this is the kind of work I want BUT it's part-time, and not in my home town. Because of this I calculate that after tax/NI and also travel (approx. £1,716 per year), I'll be on national minimum wage. :o It's a low level job for which I'm overqualified, and a sector I'm unsure about/have no experience in. :oops:

I'm concerned as if I take this job, I'll obviously need to show commitment BUT see below...Also, I cannot afford to keep dipping in and out of work like a yoyo, which my CV seems to indicate.

I really want to get back into library work, but at any expense?? #-o

Due to the work hours, I would need to sub my wages with my savings - not good. :cry:

I'm currently in a job about which I wrote a previous thread, and I'm currently signed off work (have been for about 3 weeks now). My situation is a real mess - I just do not have the courage to resign as I don't want to be unemployed. It's not the 'stigma' etc. it's just blind panic of feeling so isolated, having no financial security (I've a mortgage), and having no prospects and not knowing where I'll end up (The current job was taken as I needed work asap, and look what happened!). :cry:

All advice, always welcome.
Thank you.
Popkin
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby misskrystal » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:28 am

I'm in a similar situation to you. I took the year off after I finished uni and now I'm finding it really difficult to get back into work. Also like you, I don't have the best employment history, so when I find a job I really want to do (which I hope I have) I have to accept that it comes with a few downsides.

If you really want the job and are willing to give this industry a go, you may have to find yourself another part-time job to supplement your wage. Hopefully a full-time position will open up soon and you can really get your career back on track.
misskrystal
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:26 pm

I think misskrystal's suggestion of a second part time job is a great idea
and I think doing something you enjoy will help lift some of the burden of this depression you are going through
Supermarkets are great for short/ varied hours and don't care about previous jobs and it might give you more opportunity to meet more people too
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Return to Work & Colleagues