appraisal - advice

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

appraisal - advice

Postby miaow » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:07 am

hi all,

Appraisal is due shortly, and i have a lot of things i want to get off my chest. I get dumped a lot on because we have had redundancies so have lost a number of staff, and also the ones that were lucky enough to stay were that fed up of what we'd been put through that they found other jobs; thus making the strain even worse.

We are a massive government company and are undergoing a new restructure (probably as a result of the redundancies although the ppl with power say different!). I am determined that i am not carrying on doing everything and being dumped on - just because people know if i do it it will get done, rather than give it others who will leave it under a pile of work.

How do i get this across to my manager without coming across as aggressive or being a cow or seeming workshy. I literally have been doing 3 people's jobs, and yesterday someone asked me that when we are restructured would i take responsibility for something (which id be happy to do) although i did point out that usually it is someone on a grade or 2 above me (and getting paid more) that would usually do it. I just want to get everything in black and white down on paper as proof of what my responsibilites are and what are not - and have them acknowledged and if they are more than what my grade should be doing i want either and increase to match the responsibility i am taking on, or i want it to go to someone else who is at appropriate grade.

How do i get this across though (think i need to go on an assertiveness course - or a course to teach me how to say no in a nice way without coming across as a b*tch!)

Any advice greatly appreciated!
miaow
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Yellowcoaching » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:57 am

Make a list of what you have been doing in terms of role and responsibilities. ( take it with you to the meeting)

Ask for clarity regarding your role and responsiblities going forward.
If it still appears you are going to be taking on more than your current grade/salary.

Explain that you feel some of them fall outside your grade and salary level and although you feel competent and capable of taking it on you would like your grade and salary to reflect your newly defined role.

There you go assertiveness in a nutshell!
You only get one life; I can help you make the most of it.
Yellowcoaching
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby miaow » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:17 pm

ah thanks!! I do need to master the art of saying what im thinking in my head in a nice way, rather than either not saying anything at all, or saying something and it coming out in nasty tone :)

THANK YOU!
miaow
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to Work & Colleagues