Two-Faced Boss

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Two-Faced Boss

Postby LemonJuice87 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:31 pm

I work in a pub, and my boss is such a cow!!!! Sorry i needed to get that off my chest.

I have a one year old daughter, and because i'm on working tax credits, i have to do 16 hours or more a week. I can do anything up to 30 hours, as long as it's not a constant 30 hours every week.

When i first started back there (I worked there before i had my daughter but quit due to unfair treatment) i was given alot of hours. I could only do nights and weekend days. So thats what i did. Night after night, week after week. I was knackered. I asked for a few nights off to have a life lol. Which my Boss agreed to and was gratefull to me doing so much work.

It was at the begining of May that the problems started. My hours dropped severely, down to 20, then 18 and now i'm at 11 hours. Needless to say I have Revenue and Customs on my back saying i owe them money for not doing enough hours. I told my boss about this and she just completly blanked me and carried on with her conversation with a highly valued customer and friend.

Me and my friend are currently trying to apply for our personal license, all information and course books are sent to the pub. Both me and my friend are on the same course on 3rd September and still have not received our coursework. Our boss has made it quite clear that she doesnt like us and doesnt want us to have a personal license. Therefore we think she wont give us the stuff we need.

There was another matter also, one of the other staff and our assistant manager reliefed the pub while my boss was on holiday. The stock was down on a certain drink, when my boss came back she simply said "There are only two certain members of staff that drink that" Meaning me and my friend.

Me and my friend are not big smilers when we are working with other certain staff members. Or when we get customers that awkward, we'll say. My boss has said that the area manager has given her permission to sack anyone who doesnt smile. Which again is me and my friend.

I just think it seems that she is finding stupid petty things to sack us over, or driving us out. She will never drive us out, because me and my friend have worked at that pub longer that she has, alot longer. We know the customers, what they drink and what kind of service they like.

One minute she'll be overly nice to you, then the next she is slagging you off to another person behind you back. She does it constantly!

I think sometimes she doesnt even know how to run a pub, she is never behind the bar serving. She is ALWAYS on the other side, drinking - not paying for them. So it's her thats drinking the stock and not knowing where it's gone.

I am so close to quitting, but i just cant afford it. Even with only 11 hours.

Is there anything that the staff can do to make her realise she cant just cut staff hours and still expect us to be happy at the same time?

Sorry about the rant, i just needed to get that out. Lol
You know you're a mum when the thought of food shopping alone becomes exciting.

When you and your significant other are having an argument, just take all of your clothes off during the spat and stand there. Something is bound to happen!! =]
LemonJuice87
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby miaow » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:59 am

Why dont you just apply for another bar job without her knowing and then leave when you have security of the other job? (dont witch about her to potential new employee though at an interview, say you want to work in new bar as you arent getting enough hours where you are).

Even if you go and work in asda or Tesco in evenings (open 24hr in week) or wkends it must be better in the meantime than putting up with what you say you have to. It may not be glamorous or much fun but least its paying you a wage and you will be doing min of 16hrs not being messed about, at least until you find another bar job you want or get your licence.

Personally life is too short and i would get out of there, but of couse make sure i have another job set up to go straight to. There must be other bars? Forget about you've been there longer than she has - dont cut your nose of to spite your face, just move on and look after yourself.

:)
miaow
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby LemonJuice87 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:36 pm

I do get what your saying, but i feel if i do leave i will be cutting my nose off. Lol.
I quit once already due to unfair treatment (different manager back then), i dont want to have to do it again. I love that pub so much, there's a running joke that if you have worked there more than 2 years you're part of the furniture. I'd feel awkward going back in there to drink with my friends.

It's quite frightening in a good way just how much i love that pub.

I live in a very small village, total of about 7 pubs. Our's and Wetherspoons are the only ones that do well. Sure i could go somewhere else, say into the city centre. But i would end up loseing money on bus fares to work and taxi's back as bus's dont run at 2am lol.

As soon as my daughter is old enough for nursery, i'll go back to work full time somewhere else. Nice 9-5 job lol. Instead of 6pm to 2am lol. But thats another year and half away.

When you and your significant other are having an argument, just take all of your clothes off during the spat and stand there. Something is bound to happen!! =]
LemonJuice87
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby whoopsie » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:30 pm

Escalate this past her, to her manager, your area manager. She cannot sack someone for not smiling. That is ridiculous, and if she ever did do that, the courts would come down on her and the company like a tonne of bricks!!

If you do speak to her manager, and get nothing from him, escalate it past him. Keep escalating. Chances are, it's not just you and your friend who are victims of her unprofessional behaviour. I'm sure you have a few colleagues who you don't work with all that often.

I would also advise you to keep a diary of everything. Things she's said, drinks she has stolen. You can raise a grievance, as this is work place bullying, which it is why it is best to document everthing.

The issue with your post, if it has your name on it, it is intended for you, regardless of it's postal address. That is your property so you can demand that from her.

Ultimately, I think you need to speak to her manager about this. She doesn't seem to be manager material. Maybe they should send her on a management course. A manager is supposed to support their staff, not put them down or make them feel inferior and worthless.

You will have signed a contract I imagine? Check it to see what your contracted hours are. If you are working below this in any given week, your contract is void. You and your manager signed that and agreed those hours were acceptable for you both, a contract is a legally binding document.

I really hate it when people are like this at work. You would think that adults would know better!!!

I hope I've helped. I know it is only a part time job, but I really understand how much this can affect you. I hope that you are able to leave your work worries at work and enjoy your time with your little one. xxx
=^..^=
whoopsie
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby retrochav » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:20 pm

I will tackle the two issues seperately:

Benefits and Tax Credits: With working tax credits, you usually make a claim based on last years income - and only need report income gain of over £25,000 in a year. Obviously you need to let them know if you are working less than sixteen hours as at that point a lone parent no longer qualifies. You can ask for the overpayment to be written off if you can demonstrate that you only realised your hours were to be cut about the same time that the revenue found out. You can ask for the debt to be taken back at a low figure each week if it would cause hardship to claw it all back at once. Working 30 hours can actually get you an additional premium on your working tax credit - go on the website for a calculation.
If you are working under 16 hours, if you earn less than £80.50 per week you can get Income Support. This is because income support is paid at £60.50 and £20 of your earnings are disregarded = Less than £80.50 per week in wages will get you income support. If you pay rent you may also get housing benefit - private message me for more information on this as its a personal calculation.

As for the boss. Collect evidence between you of her behaviour, then you can either raise a grievance with an employment tribunal for constructive dismissal if you quit, or bullying if you stay. Get advice from the ACCAS website to be clear of your employment rights.
whatever your problem someone else has been there and bears the scars.
retrochav
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby LemonJuice87 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:19 pm

Bit of an update:

I was in work Saturday night, 7 till close (Got home at 2:30am, stop getting paid at 12:30am) and saw my rota for this week. ZERO HOURS! Nothing, not even a silly shift for like an hour. Boss was in Derby for some unknown reason so i left her a quick note saying could she phone me and let me know why i didn't have any hour's for this week, that i needed at least 16 hours and understood that she couldn't give those hours but some would be appriciated. And that if i had done something wrong, to tell me so i could put it right instead of cutting my hours (Which is what i thought). She phoned and basically said that i hadn't done anything wrong, and would give me some shifts when they came up. Still nothing.

Went into the pub last night to meet my boyfriend and saw there were letters to all the staff. And i couldn't beleive what i read. Obviously i cant type up the whole letter but to break it down:
We are no longer allowed cigarette breaks, at all.
We are not allowed to order and eat any food what so ever.
We are only allowed breaks if we work 6 hours (Which none of us do at the moment)
All holidays and booked days off are cancelled and are to be re-booked with her (Within reason)
All course's and training have been canclled and will be re-booked as long as it is relevant and in budget.

At the end of the letter she said that it was clearly linked that the money going missing out of the tills, the taking breaks when we feel like it and the missing stock is clearly linked with her cutting our hours. And that this letter was our final warning. We havn't even had any verbal warnings.

Grrrrrr!!!!! She doesn't deserve a pub as good as ours, she'd be mor suited to a little old man's pub in a high street.

LemonJuice87
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to Work & Colleagues