Accused of bullying.

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Accused of bullying.

Postby Laranna » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:38 pm

A girl on my team that I am a deputy manager of has accused me of bullying her. This has come as a complete shock and has left me devasteted as i considered this girl as a friend. She has recently been turned down for a promotion to my level within our department and has been cold to me ever since no matter what I say or do. I have also been suffering with hearing issues and will often not hear people talking to me unless they get my attention first and has been getting worse and I wonder if she has felt ignored by me at times due to this. My HR know about this hearing problem but this matter means that next week I wll be dragged before a disciplinary meeting and comments made by my senior manager have left me feeling already judged and sentanced. There has even been talk of sending me to another department. I have been too utterly distraught to face my team and unable to work for the last few days and I constantly feel sick with worry about my future and career. I wold never bully another person as I was the victim of merciless bullying throughout my school and understand the dread of waking up every morning to go to the place of victimisation. For the last week this girl has been making various different accusations about me, and each time I've been questioned by my line manager I've given reasons and explanations for certains actions/descisions andI've been exonerated. They then feedback my responses to her and it feels to me that this is something she has dregged up in order to pull me down when everything else she tried failed. In fact I feel like the victim and her the bully. I can't hold back the tears and nausea just thinking about going back to work on Monday and now I want a transfer or a new job regardless of the outcome. What shall I do?
Laranna
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby misskrystal » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:32 am

You need to ask yourself very honestly whether your behaviour towards her could be viewed as bullying, ie, is what she is saying technically true. Although you may not view your actions as hurtful, she may not feel the same way. If this is the case, you'll have to alter you behaviour at work and be careful when you interact with her. She may just be more sensitive than you realise.

If, however, you truly believe that her accusations are false, then you need to go to either your manager or HR and tell them that this girl is harassing you by making false accusations. You are right when you say that these complaints could hurt your career, so make it known that what she is saying is in no way true and that you believe she's doing this to cause you harm.
misskrystal
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to Work & Colleagues