I want to quit after doing one shift-will I still get paid?

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

I want to quit after doing one shift-will I still get paid?

Postby holz » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:35 am

Hi

So I did a four hour shift dishwashing in a pub kitchen on Saturday night.
I hated it and don't want to go back - am I entitled to get paid for the four hours I worked.

He said I would need to go on the books and be paid into my bank account if I was to continue. But I really just want the cash I earned from that night and move on to somewhere else.

Do I have rights to ask this?

Thanks
holz
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: I want to quit after doing one shift-will I still get pa

Postby retrochav » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:55 pm

You have the right to ask - but you are unlikely to have the right to force the issue! If you have signed a contract stating hours, pay rates etc. you may be able to threaten a tribunal under "illegal deductions from wages" one of the few employment rights that you dont have to have worked for one year in order to recieve. You could threaten court action through the small claims court - but for four hours work it isnt likely to be worth the cost. Look up the 1996 employment act for more details, or email ACAS.

Sadly, without a signed contract, it is little more than a "work trial" in the eyes of employment tribunals, and in civil law you would need to prove a contract.

My advice would be to try and charm them into paying you from petty cash, and sweet talk them. Other than that, it might be worth putting it down to experiance.
whatever your problem someone else has been there and bears the scars.
retrochav
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Return to Work & Colleagues