Landlord?

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Landlord?

Postby rufio89 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:30 pm

Wasnt sure where to post this...

Ok, I was living in a shared flat, and the gas and electric were on a meter, so if it ran out/was running low, we'd all chip in £10 and someone would go and top it up.

I moved out, only a few days ago. A few days before that, the electric ran out, when I was out, so someone had put money on on my behalf, and left me a note saying I owed them. I paid, even though I was moving out the next day, because I thought it wasnt fair as it was coming out of their pocket.

Today I met with my landlord, handed back my keys and got my deposit back, and then went away. I got a phonecall from him after I left saying "oh yeah, you owe me £10 for the gas meter, it ran out the other day and you owe money"...

Am I actually expected to pay this? I can easily not pay it, the people I live with weren't friends of mine, they were strangers, and they certainly weren't friendly, so I wont see them again, and all the moving out stuff is done now.

If it's one of those things where I should pay, then I will go back and pay it - after all, it IS only £10, but I dont know whether I'm expected to or not...

If it were bills where it came at the end of the month and it was gas I'd USED then I would pay it no question, but surely the whole point of meters is that you pay in advance?
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Weasley » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:56 pm

I'm a little confused as from what you have said, didn't your house mates pay your meter bill and then you pay them back? So that would mean if you owe your landlord £10 then you will have paid twice? Am I getting the jist or am I completely stupid?...
xxx :)
Weasley
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby rufio89 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:59 pm

Ah no sorry, I've probably not made a lot of sense.

We have the gas on one meter, and the electricity on another.

The electricity ran out a few days before I left, and I thought I should pay that, so as not to leave anyone out of pocket.

The GAS ran out the DAY I left, and this is what they're trying to get back from me..
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Weasley » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:04 pm

Ooooh I get you now!
Hmmm...tricky. If it was me I probably wouldn't pay it as it was your last day and all and as you said you will never see them again etc...
But then again my angelic side kicks in and tells me I would pay it as I hate owing money and wouldn't want the landlord on my back pestering me for it. It is only £10 and he does have your number so who's to say he won't ring you all the time asking for it?
Tough one. Maybe leave it for a while. After all I've said it may turn out he forgets about it!
xxx :)
Weasley
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby rufio89 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:16 pm

I've got my angelic side telling me I should pay it! But then DO i owe money??

The meter is pre-paid, so if it was topped up the day I left, Im not using any of it, right?
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:34 pm

It ran out the day you left therefore it is no longer your responsibility as you say the £10 put in on the day you left would then be used the following few days
by now someone else will have topped it up, i think the landlord is trying it on
however are you ever likely to need a reference from the landlord, if yes pay the £10 otherwise forget it
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Return to Work & Colleagues