I am not a snitch

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

I am not a snitch

Postby whoopsie » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:53 pm

I work for a medium sized recruitment company and my team currently consists of me and one other girl. Me and her have completely different personalities, and I sometimes find it extremely difficult to work with her. She interrupts people, and talks over people, insists she's right when she's wrong etc. Anyway, that is not the issue. Me and her are merging into another, much bigger team. Her mum is a team leader with in this team. As a team leader, she is privy to quite a lot of information that is not yet 'official'. She was told that me and her daughter would be moving into this team (she would not be our team leader however). Not long later, her daughter told me all the details of this, when it would be made official, who our new team leader would be etc. She told me not to tell anyone what she had told me, and said to 'act' shocked when we were officially told. So, on Monday, our current manager called a meeting and told us of the changes. I acted shocked.

This isn't the first time my colleague has shared ‘confidential’ info with me and I am worried that if I were to say something to someone in confidence, it would go around the office, much the same as this has. Anyway, I shared my concerns with a colleague of mine, who is quite ‘high up’ and I get on really well with her. I told her the reason why I was worried about confidentiality and she said that she would need to escalate what I had told her.

What I am ultimately worried about is any confrontation from the girl on my team and her mother. Her mother has been taken into a meeting room with her manager and a lady in HR so I’m guessing she has had her telling off, so I’m now waiting for the back lash. I know I am not the one who is in the wrong, but I’m terrible in an argument. Does any one have any idea how they would deal with this situation?
=^..^=
whoopsie
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:02 pm

I think the other girl may have been letting you know so it wasn't such a shock. She may like you and be trying to get along with you? I don't know I'm not there.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Alicat14 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:38 pm

You haven't done anything wrong in reporting this, as it was making you feel uncomfortable in your work place. I would maybe have another chat with your friendly colleague to find out if your name would have been mentioned ( I am pretty sure it wouldn't have, and what is the bet that you weren't the only person she told) so they might not even link it back to you.
Alicat14
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Bel Bel » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:59 am

i agree with alicat she is probably the type to tell more than one person so if she metntions it to you take her own advice and act shocked
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby whoopsie » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:02 pm

Bel Bel wrote:i agree with alicat she is probably the type to tell more than one person so if she metntions it to you take her own advice and act shocked

Oooh, sneaky! I like it :D
=^..^=
whoopsie
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:11 pm

Hehe I like it, act shocked!!!

I did have something else to input but I got distracted by work! How inconvenient. I'll post again if/when I remember.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Return to Work & Colleagues