New Job - Worried!

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

New Job - Worried!

Postby jen » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:02 pm

Hi, i'm new and don't really have a big problem as such, just generally looking for some advice.

I've been in my current job for the past two years (after being made redundant from my previous job) and I really enjoy it. I work in a small office and there's only 4 of us. We all get on great and all in all i can probably say it's the best job i've had.

However, for the past year after seperating from my partner of five and a half years, money has become very tight. I'm finding myself working every Saturday for my mum as well as borrowing off her continuously. Something had to give. So when my friend noticed a job advertised on a website doing more or less exactly what i'm doing now but for a much better salary, i decided to apply. After a couple of interviews, I was offered the job.

I handed in my resignation on 24.10.08 so finish up here on 21.11.08 and start my new job on 24.11.08 which in theory i should be excited about - after all the new job appears to have more prospects and will probably open more doors for me. However the problem is, I don't feel excited at all - in fact i feel pretty crappy that i'm leaving my current job. I told my manager from the start that i was applying for another job and explained that it was nothing to do with the job itself, but rather the fact that i couldn't keep surviving on loans from my mum (I rent my own place and hate having to borrow from mum who struggles herself most of the time). She spoke to one of the higher up people who simply advised a small raise (even 1.5k a year - this would have persuaded me to stay) was "not in budget".

So basically i'm becoming more miserable about starting the new job and leaving the comfort of my happly little office when i should be over the moon that i'm getting the opportunity of bettering myself.

Sorry this has been a bit long but i guess i just needed to vent as i think i have bent my partners ears about it enough and although i know there's probably not much advice that can be given, any input would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks x :) x
jen
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby ILoveChristmas » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:01 pm

Hello!

The memories come flooding back when I look at your username! I'm from Scotland too.

I think it's natural that leaving a secure, friendly, close team of people/friends and moving out into the unknown is making you feel very nervous, but the reality is that in most cases you'll feel just the same in the new place once you find your feet.

Whenever I interview someone i'm looking just as much at their characters as I am at their ability and i'm sure your interviewers were doing just the same, so they're already pretty sure you're going to 'fit'.

Everyone needs time to find their feet in a new job, so go in there knowing that you're at an advantage because you already know the job, put effort into getting to know your workmates and soon enough you'll be one of the team. Just think, all the same fun AND more money!
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:09 pm

I don't have anything to say ILoveChristmas said it all.

It is natural to be scared and upset about leaving a job you don't want to leave. You can keep in touch with people who you work with now, you will get new friends in the new place and more money, therefore no lending etc and leading to a happier you.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby jen » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:33 pm

thanks guys, this really helps. As i say it is nerves but i think one of the big concerns is that one of the people who work for the new company used to work where i am now and is still friendly with a girl who used t work in my office (she's elsewhere now) but i feel like i'm already under pressure to perform in order that any failings are not reported back to my ex work colleague who will take great delight in telling everyone. Thus resulting in the "i told you so's" from the boss (not the people in my office)

Sorry if that didn't make any sense, just ask if you have any questions. Also the new office is much bigger and although the office i worked at "down south" was fairly big, everyone was older so it was more quiet and no witching. Not saying all people my age witch but you do hear horror stories.
jen
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:42 am

No matter what the age, the talking behind backs etc will happen. I used to work in a supermarket and it was always the older ones there doing it. Now I work in an office, maybe 30 people, there are about 10 people in their twenties and everyone else is pretty much 40+ (with a couple of people in their 30's), and no talking goes on here... (or not to my knowledge anyway). :-S
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby jen » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:45 pm

Thanks, your replies have really helped put me at ease a bit more. Guess it was just the worry of moving out of my comfort zone. Thanks a lot guys
x
jen
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to Work & Colleagues