Job hunting advice?

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Re: Job hunting advice?

Postby brfc » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:29 pm

im kinda looking at getting out the job im in but guess now is not a good time with credit crunch and stuff. guess ill have to stick with it till the market picks up.
brfc
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby rufio89 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:19 pm

Ill have your job... bit of a commute though..
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby brfc » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:46 pm

brfc wrote:im kinda looking at getting out the job im in but guess now is not a good time with credit crunch and stuff. guess ill have to stick with it till the market picks up.

i went for a interview for a job that i wanted yesterday. i got a phone call today saying i gott it!!! woohoo!! im happy man :D
brfc
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby rufio89 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:52 am

congrats!! :D
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby brfc » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:26 am

thx ruth :) hows job hunting going for you?
brfc
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby rufio89 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:41 am

Not good :(

I've applied for loads of jobs, and the ones where I've heard back and they're said no, I've asked for feedback, and they said that my CV/experience is very good, but there was lots of applicants and there are just people with more experience.

It's all well and good getting positive feedback, but if there's nothing I can improve on and I still cant find work, then I'm stuck :( :(

My contracts up in 2 weeks, so I'm getting really scared :(
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:45 pm

well done brfc

Ruth would temp work be an option. Some emploers offer a temp to perm postion so they can try you out
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby rufio89 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:11 pm

I didnt want to temp, I want some security, plus you dont get holidays/sick pay etc if you're a temp. However, since I dont have a job, I will have to register for temp work unfortunatly :(
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:14 pm

i know it's not perfect but because of xmas people are winding down now so they are more likely to advertise after xmas

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby rufio89 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:03 pm

I just got an email saying I've been shortlisted for one of the 10billion jobs ive applied for so that's positive, keep your fingers crossed guys!
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:26 pm

good luck ruth hope it works out

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby Weasley » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:31 pm

I remember being made redundant last year at this time and it was such a stuggle finding a job - but I managed it and started just after Christmas. I also changed jobs around a month ago as my last employer were letting people go left, right and centre and I did not want the same thing to happen again! I rang a similar company on the off chance and asked if they had any jobs and they did. I went for the interview and got the job which was nice. I would find a list of companies that have jobs in what you want to do and just ask them if they have anything. If they don't now you could always still send in your CV for them to keep on file. I still keep getting people from last year who kept my CV on file emailing now asking if I'm still looking for work. Most companies appreciate that you have the initiative to ring them and ask out of the blue!
Christmas is never a good time to job hunt as people can't really be bothered with interviewing before Christmas. You will find also there may be more vacancies after Christmas to apply for. Maybe if you need money over Christmas get a temp job in a bar or shop?
xxx :)
Weasley
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby rufio89 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:39 pm

Obviously I will get a shop/bar/telesales job if i HAVE to, but unless I'm desperate I really dont want to. My job is until the end of december, so I get paid the 22nd, so I have enough money to tide me over until mid january ish, but I dont earn much so it's gonna be a struggle if i dont find something right away.

I'm sure SOMETHING will come up even if its not ideal, and like a few people have said, things should pick up after xmas, so i can just temp for a few weeks until i find something better...
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby brfc » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:52 am

RuthForrest wrote:Obviously I will get a shop/bar/telesales job if i HAVE to, but unless I'm desperate I really dont want to. My job is until the end of december, so I get paid the 22nd, so I have enough money to tide me over until mid january ish, but I dont earn much so it's gonna be a struggle if i dont find something right away.

I'm sure SOMETHING will come up even if its not ideal, and like a few people have said, things should pick up after xmas, so i can just temp for a few weeks until i find something better...

yes im sure you will find something ruth. good luck with your interview ill keep my fingers crossed for ya!
brfc
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby rufio89 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:42 pm

One of the agencies called earlier, I have an interview for a job on monday, so fingers crossed! x
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

PreviousNext

Return to Work & Colleagues