Saturday/Weekend jobs for teens?

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Saturday/Weekend jobs for teens?

Postby keepingsane » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:58 pm

I'm looking into taking a saturday job after new year to make savings for when me and my younger sister go to move in with our dad, as I expect we will have to cut back on things that we take for granted now. I was wondering what lines of work - bearing in mind, I live in the UK - I can go into at 15? I know that the standard minimum age is 16, but some places will let me work at 15. Being honest, I'm a responsible, intelligent person, but these probably won't help in getting me a saturday job, as well as the current economic crisis. I know my choices are generally supermarkets, but does anyone know of any other areas I could work, and does anyone have any experience or know of anyone working at my age?

Thank you for any advice you have :]
"The smallest deed is better than the grandest intention" :]
keepingsane
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Saturday/Weekend jobs for teens?

Postby miaow » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:17 pm

Hmmm Im answering as no one else has - but to be honest I am not sure. Do any of your friends have jobs in places other than supermarkets? What about clothes shops or waitressing (cafe or hotel work)? I don't know the legal side of it - I presume the number of places you can work are limited when your under 16 - all i can suggest is looking online at what is legally allowed - (google working laws for under 16's) see what the guideance is. If you can't find anything give your local Citizen's Advice Bureau a ring - they are good at finding out the legal aspects of things and can probably advise.

PS Good for you for wanting to go out and earn some extra money
miaow
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby keepingsane » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:27 pm

I have friends who do jobs for places distributing leaflets and catalogues, and another has been offered a job at a supermarket where a family friend works. I'm planning to go and ask round the nearby supermarkets, but I was curious whether anyone knew of any other areas of work I could apply for. I'm going to take your advice and I'm going to look into the laws of working under 16, as I only know that I don't necessarily have a minimum wage - hopefully it will say what areas of work I'm allowed to work in. Thank you very much :]
keepingsane
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby brfc » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:24 am

ive got the perfect job for ya -------- > http://www.responsesource.com/releases/ ... 01&hilite= :D
brfc
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby keepingsane » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:13 pm

Oh, I could never do that, i'm very sensitive about my eyelids. Besides, it won't offer any experience to put on my CV I wouldn't have thought, and how would they know how many winks to pay you for?
keepingsane
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby rufio89 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:25 am

I worked in a local baker/confectioners when I was 15. Do you have local shops/restaurants? Ask around them, see if they need a saturday person, that's your best bet.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby whoopsie » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:36 pm

The best places to look are independant shops (like Ruth said, Bakeries etc) who pay cash in hand. Also, look at catteries and dog kennals (I would so love to work in one!). I got a paper round when I was 12, and was working in a news agent (saturday) and garden centre (sunday) when I was 14/15.
=^..^=
whoopsie
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby keepingsane » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:13 pm

Working in a garden centre sounds so nice :] I didn't really think about my local shops. Luckily the main road that goes through the main towns is just down the road from me, so there are quite a few local shops down there. Gosh, I never realised that :] I'd love to take a paper round, but almost all the positions around here are used up by adults, and the only one's they don't choose (typically) are the ones before school and I don't have time for that. I think I'll go ask around after christmas then, and see if anywhere have any jobs open. Do I have to take anything with me when I apply for a saturday job? I mean, I know I don't need a CV, but is there anything I need to take with me?

Thank you :]
keepingsane
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby whoopsie » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:30 pm

Ooh, I'm not sure! It was 10 years ago lol!!

Some places may have application forms. If you can't do mornings, the best type of paper round would be the local paper (I used to deliver national papers in the morning. Yuk!). I think that may also include stuffing with leaflets but I imagine it would pay more.

I worked in the garden centre over xmas, so was decorating the trees and the grotto etc. Was great!!
=^..^=
whoopsie
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby keepingsane » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:39 pm

Oh i see :] Yeah, I wouldn't mind what the job was (within reason) as long as i'm earning money. That sounds like so much fun :] There's a dog parlour down the road, but it's a small business, so maybe no jobs there, but it would be so much fun just to play with the dogs :]
keepingsane
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby whoopsie » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:55 pm

One thing to just be aware of, with the way the economy is at the moment, you may have a little difficulty finding somewhere that has vacancies. A good time to look is when students have all gone back to uni. :D
=^..^=
whoopsie
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby rufio89 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:55 am

you cant go wrong taking some kind of mock-up cv. Presumably you dont have any qualifications or anything yet, but you could put your contact details and a (very) basic list of your hobbies and interests...
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:40 pm

and expected grades if you know them or the level you ar at currently
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby keepingsane » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:10 pm

Yeah, I was thinking what with the economy and all, it would be quite hard, but if all else fails, i'll see what my mum says about doing chores for money or something. I was thinking about babysitting as well, seeing as some people charge ridiculous amounts, whereas I wouldn't mind how much it was, as long as the pay was fair. Any odd jobs really to make money would be fine.
keepingsane
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby JennaXXX » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:11 pm

How about a children's playscheme or after school club?
Whatever life throws at you, smile, hold your head up high and be the best you can possibly be.
JennaXXX
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Next

Return to Work & Colleagues