Feel like a failure jobwise...

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Feel like a failure jobwise...

Postby JennaXXX » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:17 pm

I graduated last year and at the time just needed a job so applied for a playworker post.It was only 3 hours a day and so only 15 hours.However,they also wanted me to work in the creche they were about to open up so I knew that would give me a few more hours.
The creche at first,didn't really take off (was only getting 1 or 2 kids in each week)..However over time it developed and now I am running it myself.
This is great and I really enjoy it.Problem is,it only runs in the mornings and not full time.I am still doing the playworker post 3 afternoons a week but absolutely hate it.I find it boring and dont enjoy working with the older age group.
In total,I only end up working about 25 hours a week.
I really want to get another job in the afternoons but I dont know what.I really dont want to go and work in a nursery where I will be bossed around by someone who has less qualifications and experience then me.I have got so used to running my own creche that I cant imagine what it will be like having to work under someone else.
Ideally,I just want some casual work that will give me a few more hours and a bit of extra money.
I just have no idea what I want to do,where to look and if it will effect my tax (seeing as I will be working in 2 different places)
Whatever life throws at you, smile, hold your head up high and be the best you can possibly be.
JennaXXX
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re: Feel like a failure jobwise...

Postby Bel Bel » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:04 pm

you have nothing to feel a failure for as you are running a creche, thats fantastic. So what if it's part time
You could do supermarket work as the hours are really flexible or try a temp agency telling them you just want afternoons
It doesn't matter that you work in two different places it's about how much you earn and if you currently get any benefits such as work tax credit. This link should help. The site in general can answer all your questions
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAnd ... /DG_078825
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby Liquidius » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:36 pm

Bel Bel had some really good points there. You're not a failure at all - you're running your own creche, and you've got a degree! That's great!

I'd try a temp agency, and see if they have anything for you. If not, as Bel Bel said, supermarket work/shop work is great, or perhaps working in a pub?
Liquidius
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Moose » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:48 pm

I agree that working in a pub could be a great idea for you. It wouldn't affect your creche work and would be a great way to meet new people. You don't have to work in a busy pub in town or anything - you could work in a quiet local or country pub. I wouldn't be too concerned about your tax either. It will all work itself out, and one of the main reasons you're doing this is for the confidence boost and social aspects anyway. I don't want to jump threads but you mentioned in your other thread about wanting to move out - I'm sure you could flat share on the money you make at the creche alone so any extra at a pub or supermarket would be a bonus.

This is all possible, but the difficult thing is going to be actually taking the first steps to making it happen, especially if your confidence is low at the moment. Try to remember when you're looking for temp/part time work that loads of other people are too at the moment, so if you do get rejections they are not necessarily personal. Best of luck Jenna.
Moose
Taken Root
Taken Root

Return to Work & Colleagues