Has anyone here employed people?

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Has anyone here employed people?

Postby rufio89 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:08 pm

I had an interview last week that seemed to go well, and they said they'd let me know today. Do you think I should not worry until the end of the day? I'm not holding all my hope on it, i am still applying but it would be awesome if i got that job. I'm unemployed now, and it's gettin me really down, I've applied for everything, I'm signed up with all the agencies, and ive been hassling them,and nothing. Dont know what to do,I havebills to pay :(:(:(:(
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Re: Has anyone here employed people?

Postby Bel Bel » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:28 pm

if they said they would let you know i am sure they will either way as a matter or courtesy. if not I would call in the morning and ask them to confirm the situation. it may be they have further interviews today so can't let you know yet
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:56 am

Did you hear from them?
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby rufio89 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:20 pm

No :( I called the agency and they said they'd hired someone else.

I had another interview today, so keeping my fingers crossed for that, but I dunno it was really odd.

I walked in and there was no reception or anything just like an empty room so I guess I must have looked a bit confused, and the guy called me over and said "Hi Ruth", so I went and said Hello and shook his hand. We walked into his office with another guy, and the first one asked me about the village id grown up in, and said he knew my sister, and that he's been to my house, so I talked about her for a couple of minutes. Then they ran through the company and job description. They said they didnt have my CV to hand so I ran through my previous experience with them. They talked to me about an old job for a while even though it was completely unrelated, it's just on the same industrial estate (seemed like they were trying to get the dirt on the company lol), then they showed me around the office and then I left... they didnt really ask me anything... the whole thing was a bit surreal.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:13 am

If he knows your sister and she is reliable/nice then they will automatically assume you are as well. Interviews aren't necessarily about what you know, it’s about checking if you are competent and would fit in their company. If it’s for a none skilled job it’s more about can you speak in sentences etc. Where I work, we are almost all skilled whereas we have a few assistants, the assistants are chosen for how competent they are and if they would fit (we are a company of about 30 – so the directors don’t like anyone who would upset the group.)
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby rufio89 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:36 pm

I kind of got the impression that they'd already made up their mind before I walked in. There was only 2 of us interviewing, and the 1st was before me, so I think they'd either decided they definatly wanted her, or they definatly didnt, and they were just meeting with me out of politeness or to make sure im not a massive weirdo or something..
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Actually I never really take too much notice of a cv because half the time they have made up or exaggerated stuff on. I tend to see how i think the person will fit in and depending on the job may ask them a few relevent question. Like if they needed to be able to use exel I would ask them to tell me if they knew how to do something and then get them to explain so i knew they could actually do it.
For a secretary position I have actually got them to proof read a letter to see if they spotted the mistakes. Worked a treat.
Then I like to check their honesty, so if you told me you liked reading as a hobby I would ask what the last book you read was (this has caught a few people out before because they obviously don't read regularly and just put it on the cv as they didn't know what to put as hobbies as they didn't really have any). If they fess up then I have alot more respect for them.
Also I have found that just because your capable on paper doesn't mean you can do the job in reality. Some people with the highest level of education have had no common sense or idea how to think for themselves
Anyway let us know how you get on, all things crossed for you :D

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:10 am

Did they say when you would hear?
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby rufio89 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:00 pm

ahhhhhh i got it :D :D :D
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:22 pm

Congratulations. When do you start?

What is it doing?
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby rufio89 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:45 pm

its admin and customer service. Starts monday :)
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:50 pm

fantastic news ruth :D

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby HappyGoLucky » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:08 am

Congrats! :D
Life is like a box of chocolates... you never know what you're gonna get!
HappyGoLucky
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Return to Work & Colleagues