No Reference

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

No Reference

Postby daisy12 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:22 pm

Hello everyone,

My problem is that I am seeking work but my previous boss if called would be a nasty cow and try to sabotage me out of spite. This means there is an obvious hole in my CV. Any advice about what I should say to potential employers?
daisy12
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: No Reference

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:48 pm

Is there no one else within the same company you could use as a reference?
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby ILoveChristmas » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:12 pm

Don't leave a hole in your CV, state all your meaningful employment history. Any interviewer reviewing your CV will spot it immediately and it's one of the big giveaways that you've either done nothing, or more commonly, you don't want me to know what you've been doing...and that makes me ask.

It's also completely normal for interviewees not to include referee details on their CV. Instead you should state at the bottom of your CV that "details of referees are available on request".

EDIT: I should say that the reason you don't always include referee details is for privacy. You don't know who will read your CV and therefore have access to your referees' details. If you are seriously in the running for the job they will ask you for them.
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rufio89 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:24 pm

on what grounds would she give this terrible reference? Is there a story behind this?
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby brfc » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:33 pm

im in the same boat. my last employers are not very forthcoming with a referance for my new job even though i worked for them for 2 years without no sick time. my new employer needs the reference or else there offer of employment is withdrawn. very stressfull!!! on top of that i have a temporary job were they want me to travel to various tesco stores all over the westcountry at an hours notice. not easy!!! then they get annoyed cause i say no. ive had no work this week then my boss rings me up asking can i get to wales from bristol asap tonight for 4 hours work. said no as it was too short notice and hardly worth it for 4 hours. which didnt go down too well. feel like there taking advantage of me and also feel like screaming at the mo!!!
brfc
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:12 am

Tell me about it; all supermarkets are the same. They just p you about ALL the time.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby LME79 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:31 am

I want to be..a tree..
LME79

Postby brfc » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:15 pm

thx for that lme i might use that reply on that website to back up my new job
brfc
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby earthchild » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:16 pm

just to let you guys know that its totally illegal for a company not to supply a reference and its illegal to supply a bad reference!
the only way the reference can be bad is when its very vague and like a standard approach.
also im not sure if its the same for every company but managers within my company can not provide a reference it must be provided through Personnel.
hope this eases you worries :)
The Truth
Truth is a sweet nectar from an honest fruitful heart,
from the fruit come seeds and
from the seeds you have a harvest full of dreams.

(native american proverb)
earthchild
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:29 pm

earthchild wrote:also im not sure if its the same for every company but managers within my company can not provide a reference it must be provided through Personnel.

My old company were the same!
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Return to Work & Colleagues