Unhappy at work - My Boss

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Unhappy at work - My Boss

Postby earthchild » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:07 pm

im so unhappy at work. A year ago my manager left the company. She had a deputy who she was just in the middle of training up to be her 2nd, who naturally took her place when she left lets call him W. At first I was really happy about it as W seemed to want to get us training on things so we could take on more resonsibility. At this point I was working towards being promoted and I was so close to getting it, however I then found out that W had decided to scrap the role completely and even though in my appraisal it was stated that that was what I was working towards he never told me at the time. I only found out by accident. W had told me that my job title had changed and I was asked by his boss (who has come down from another office and doesn’t really know what is going on) to write up my own job description, not things I want to learn or do but just the things that I was doing already as my job description hadnt changed from Day 1 to reflect my progress within the company.

The two of them (W and his boss) really convinced myself and my other colleague (whos in the same position as me) that there were things in the pipeline coming for us and that they will train us up. A year later and quite a few moans and complaints nothing has happened, W boss who was just supervising the transition has now gone back to his office and no longer has much to do with us.
If anything we are now heading backwards as now W is use to his role and the systems that we use he now thinks that we are not competent at all in what we do, he tells us so but never explains why he has come to that conclusion even when we ask to or never trains us to correct our ‘so-called’ mistakes, ive been with the company 4 years now and I think if I wasn’t competent in my role I would of found out a lot sooner. As I said, I have complained only to be told that my team are too top heavy, meaning that most of them are part qualified or just about to qualify therefore we cant have too many ‘chiefs’ in the team.

Ive been here the longest and its not as if I havent made an effort to start studying for a qualification relating to the field im in, I can understand why im not ‘boss’ or a ‘supervisor’ and I can understand why they cant give me a higher title, but what I cant understand is why they just wont train me or help me develop. I just feel like they are holding back on gaining any experience that is useful.
W always moan that he & J are too busy and when they are off work its like the department comes to a halt as we have not been trained to deal with things. I say ‘they’ as W promoted J (another member of the team) to be his 2nd.
Im just sad that previously we had such a tight team who would look out for one another, share knowledge and grow as a team together and now it just doesn’t feel like we are any sort of team at all. J who used to be such a good friend has turned on us and has become a mini-me of W. J has also been stoking the fire and saying that he doesn’t think we do enough work (their fault as they don’t give us any) .

It feels as if both men in the department have joined forces.
Its not just on a work level aswell its on a personal level. W seems to have turned out to be a arrogant bully who is so unprofessional. He leaves notes around about my colleague, one of which says
‘ M doesn’t do much work, always on the phone, careless in work she does and that she has to be spoon fed’
W left this in full view on his desk. My colleague M has to go for an operation soon to remove a lump, she is naturally very stressed and worried about it, on telling W about it all he asked was ‘when she can return to work’. There was no compassion or understanding at all. I think what W wrote in his note is unfounded and not true.

We also have a 16 year old working in our team whos only been here a few months, shes really lovely. W speaks to her like poo, the other day some money went missing out of petty cash and all he did was snap at her and basically said that is was her fault. This is her first job and she was so scared that he was accusing her of stealing the money that she cried and wanted to quit. W shouldn’t of handled the situation like that, he should of reassured her and do an investigation first rather than just blame her especially when the keys are acccessable to other people. She had her 3 month appraisal in which he told her she was not allowed to make a complaint as she was still in her probationary period. This I know is not true, why just cos she is in probationery period cant she make a complaint if she feels the need to? I have seen the way she is treated and I would say she isnt making a fuss about nothing.
W also asks us to do things then forgets that he has asked then questions us on why we have done them insisting that he never asked. Or he’ll think hes asked us to do things when he hasn’t and then say that he has. He also makes this a habit to do this in view of his boss’s making out that again we are incompetent.

Recently a few compaints have been made about our team not doing our work, I questioned this as I make sure I stay on top of things especially as now we don’t get much work our way. W didn’t believe a word me and M said in our defence. Basically it turned out to be his fault, he has got everyone emailing him regarding any work needing to be done so his inbox is bursting, hes has 100 emails unread ? (this he admitted to me). I don’t believe we should be told off for this as its down to his mis-management and lack of trust in us to do our jobs.

I also know that a few informal complaints have been made about W’s attitude and the way he talks to other people in other teams so I know its not just us imagining or taking things too personal.
But it seems like he is very protected by the top management. There is no faulting that W on paper is a bussiness’s wet dream but when it comes to his attitude and the way he speaks to people he is attrocious.
Both myself and M have made an informal complaint about him.

Its affecting my home life as im miserable when I get home. Which in turn is making my partner extremely angry. He doesn’t think that a informal complaint is enough and believes that we are letting W get away with everything. This in turn causes rows between us which I really hate cos we rarely row. I suppose we are both really frustrated, he thinks I should take this and make a formal complaint. Do you agree?

And lastly, i would like to leave the company but im so scared that in this financial climate where people are getting laid off
Thank you if you’ve made it this far down! I realise it’s a very long post but I really would love to hear all opinions on this situation.

Edited by LME: please do not swear in the forums
The Truth
Truth is a sweet nectar from an honest fruitful heart,
from the fruit come seeds and
from the seeds you have a harvest full of dreams.

(native american proverb)
earthchild
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Re: Unhappy at work - My Boss

Postby Pigglet » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:39 pm

He sounds like a bully to me!

I would make a formal complaint, and see if you can get other people to 'join forces' with you.

If you can get any evidence like the notes he's been leaving around then make show them also!

I know it can be difficult, especially when it seems that he may be protected some how by senior management but enough people make a formal complaint then.....

Its got to be worth a try surely... It sound like somebody needs to make a stand! :)
Just remember, nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission. :D x
Pigglet
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby LME79 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:46 am

If the team aren't producing the required results that is down to him as he is your manager and responsibile for said results. If my team at work didn't produce results and missed our targets I would be the one that it would boil down to - I'm responsible for keeping my team members in the loop about things, delegating and ensuring that they're doing everything they can in order to get these results produced. Your manager sounds like he's incredibly stressed at the moment and I'm going to guess that's because he's finding it very hard to cope; going from a deputy to an actual boss is actually a massive transition as you have no-one to hold your hand, so to speak. That said, it doesn't excuse the way he's treating you and the rest of your team. Like Pigglet said, there's power in numbers, if there's a lot of you that make a formal complaint, they will have to sit up and investigate it properly. If you don't feel like you can do that, would you and your team be able to get together one morning, walk into his office for "a quick word" and then explain to him properly exactly how you all feel? If it's affecting your home life then you need to do something.

With regards to changing jobs, I know exactly how you feel - I want to move to another place but there's so little out there in my industry. I'm going to keep on looking just in case something does come up because you never know, and I'd advise that you do the same.

Here's a link to ACAS as well - http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1461
I want to be..a tree..
LME79

Postby earthchild » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:08 pm

thank you for your replies, and sorry for the swearing,
Lilmissespana, the lady who we spoke when we made the informal complaint said the same thing, that he is probably stressed and finding it hard so i guess i should take that in consideration however we are here to help and work together as a team , we have tried to talk this through with him but he doesnt acknowledge what we are talking about at all, he doesnt seem to understand that he comes accross as a bully and that he plain outright rude, in his words 'we take things too personal'. As for not producing results, he has said its down to us. How can we move forward if he cant see that theres problems?

so in total there was 6 of us who maked the informal complaint- 3 from within our team, 2 from another team and 1 external person who had only met him for just 2 hours and who is an audittor!
a meeting has been scheduled with the Business manager and area director to discuss on the 3rd of Feb so i guess we'll have to wait and see for the results.

thanks again for listening/ reading :)
The Truth

earthchild
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:29 pm

Lets hope something happens from the meeting :)
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby LME79 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:26 am

Hey there,

I hope you didn't think I was making excuses for him because I sooo am not - if I'm stressed at work there is absolutely no way I put blame on my team ... as a manager, I have to soak that up and not display it in public. Sorry if that's how I came across :)

Are you and your colleagues going to be involved in this meeting or is a private one between him and senior management? If so, make sure you are all thoroughly prepared - write everything down on paper if necessary. I'm hoping that senior management will have enough management experience between them to work out that he's being totally unreasonable - they would have managed teams like yours before, even if not the same department, so they should know that a team's results lay ultimately with the manager of that team.

Good luck, hun, and keep us posted on what happens - in the meantime, as hard as it may be, try to keep morale up with your colleagues!

xx
I want to be..a tree..
LME79

Postby earthchild » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:44 pm

Hi Guys,

Well, they had their meeting and this is what was deduced-
They think that W is focus and driven and that in the process W displays such tendencies. The senior managers do not think theres any problems with him at all.
So just because he is good at what he does he can trample and treat people the way he does ?
I cant believe that 9 peoples complaints (yep that’s 8 internally and 1 external) are just being ignored ?
So now I definitely want to leave, I just cant work with someone like him..
Does anyone have any advice on this outcome ?
The Truth

earthchild
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:53 pm

what is there to say, they are ignoring all complaints and have decided to back him, there really isn't anything else you can do
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Return to Work & Colleagues