Racist :(

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Racist :(

Postby rufio89 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:40 pm

Ive started my new jobs recently, and my managers quite racist.

I find it really upsetting. And they're all like it. Everyone's been dead nice to me, and I want to be on good terms with them, but they keep just coming out with racist things.. most of the time it's sort of racist banter, which still really bothers me, but I can try to ignore it (I know I should say something but it's just such a small office, and I really really dont want to cause any restentment), but sometimes it's really just horrible, like my boss was just talking to someone on the phone, it sounded like he was getting a bit annoyed, but it seemed like a fairly amicable conversation, but when he hung up the phone, he said racist stuff under his breath.
I really really cannot stand it. I dont know what to do, I find it really really upsetting and I have all this guilt for not saying anything.

There's only 4 people who work here except me, the top manager has been in the room when he's said stuff and sort of played along, the girl whos about my age seems a bit racist as well, but more in an ignorant way than an aggressive way, and the other woman is exactly the same as him, and whenever they talk to an asian person on the phones they're always like "god, you cant understand a word theyre saying", even when they've just had a perfectly normal conversation with them...

Please don't swear, even with stars. Ta. Moose
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Re: Racist :(

Postby Moose » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:27 pm

I've heard quite a lot of this type of talk in places I've worked, and I've either ignored it, or said things like "I didn't realise people still said things like that - it sounds really old fashioned to me" (which it genuinely does - as does homophobia) or "That sounds really racist - did you know that?" And they tend to back off and say "No, I'm not racist, I just ...." cue some excuse!

It is very annoying though. I suppose only you know if it would cause a problem to cut in with a comment like that and if you would want that. It's hard in a smaller office, but you don't have to say it in a way that shows how offensive you really find it. You could mention it in a light hearted way and test the water.
Moose
Taken Root
Taken Root

Return to Work & Colleagues