JSA - New Deal?

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

JSA - New Deal?

Postby DoodlePlex » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:17 am

Hi guys, sorry I haven't been on PP for a while, as you can see by the topic I've been having a bit of trouble with my life =(

I had to sign on for JSA almost six months ago because I moved away from home, long story short. There's no way I can move back because too much has happened and I'm waiting until it's settled. The thing is, I've been struggling to find work and been unsuccessful, even though I've been trying my hardest (believe me, I hate being on benefits but I have no choice). Even my advisor at my interview said I was very qualified and was surprised at all the negative responses I had been getting. During this interview she brought up something called "New Deal" but couldn't tell me much about it -- so I looked onto the website when I got home and had very mixed feelings about the whole thing, mostly because it was very vague.

I'm curious because if I'm still on JSA after six months this is what I'll be moved onto -- and frankly, I'm a little nervous. I'm hoping that someone here has perhaps been on this New Deal programme themselves or knows someone who has/is, and can give me a bit of information about what happens. I'm still in vain of finding a job before this happens -- but in case it does, I want to be prepared for it, I guess.

Thank you to everyone in advance (I hope I posted this in the right section) :(
DoodlePlex
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: JSA - New Deal?

Postby melons » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:24 pm

Hi,I came off new deal back in January.
It is where after a set amount of months unemployed,you get alllocated a New deal advisor,which is someone who helps you get back into work.
You have to see them once a week ath the jobcentre,they go over your jsa agreement again to see how you can improve your jobsearch,and discuss how they can help you.
If you haven't found work after 13weeks of being on new deal,then they send you onto a new deal course for three months,which you have to go to every week day.
The other people on the course are there for the same reason,and it has advisors who help you rewrite your cv,and improve it to give you a better chance of getting a job.
They get you to send cv's to companys whilst on the course,and towards the end of the course,they try to get you onto a work placement,where you go and work for an employer,of a company in the type of job your looking for.you work there for a couple of days a week,unpaid i'm afraid,but the jobcentre pay for your travel to and from the course and employer every week.
And hopefully a job is offered to you at the company.
I've also had alot of trouble finding work,and i'm also experienced enough,it annoys me when companys can't be bothered to reply,i'm sure they think that because we are unemployed when we apply,that we are apparently lazy or don't want to work,thats not true.
Don't give up hope,if your lacking in confidence because they aren't responding,just tell yourself that your too good for their company anyway,and that something better will come along.
Good luck,and i hope you find this usesfull.
melons
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: JSA - New Deal?

Postby Bel Bel » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:42 pm

Is there the option to do temp work and if not can you do some voluntary work
I have to say honestly i would always view an unemployed person less favorably when looking at candidates unless they were doing volunteer work to show it wasn't becasue they were lazy
even someone who has job hoped at temp work would be more appealing
i know this isn't what you want to here but just the other perspective
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Return to Work & Colleagues