Using Microsoft Access, help?

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Using Microsoft Access, help?

Postby rufio89 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:37 pm

I doubt anyone will be able to help with this...

I've been asked at work to set up an access database. I'm the most IT literate, but I dont have any experience using Access.
Basically, we need a database that holds the information of our customers.
I've set up a table, with all the fields I require, (name, address, postcode, dates, details, etc), and that's all filled in correctly and all the information is ok. I've then set up a form, so it's a more user-friendly interface for the less PC-literate of the staff, and that seems to be working ok.
I've then set up a second form, with the load page on it, and it has 3 buttons - Add New Case, Search Existing Cases and Edit Existing Cases.
I want it to: bring up a blank form for Add New Case, so I can fill that in and it will add to the table.
bring up a blank form for Search Existing Cases, so I can fill in, say, the name, and it will bring up the first case with that name,and then i can search through them, but the information is read only
bring up a blank form for Edit Existing Cases, so again, I can search and scroll through them, but this time the information is editable.
I have it working correctly for 'Add New Case', that is all going as I want it to, however for Search and Edit, it's bringing up the first record on the table, and I cant search, If i remove the information from the boxes, it's removed from the table.

Also, On the page im currently working on, I want to have:

2 or 3 text boxes at the top of the page, for Sirname, Postcode and Received Date, with a search button next to these.

When I click search, I want this to bring up all the matching cases in a box to the right of this, just in a list.

I then want to be able to click on the case I require, and that will open up in a form further down the page, with all the other information, which also includes address, telephone number, email address, notes etc.

I want a read only version of this, and an editable version of this.

Can anyone suggest a way to do this? I am a beginner at Access so I will need quite detailed information.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Re: Using Microsoft Access, help?

Postby Liquidius » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:49 pm

If you have no experience with Access, this is going to be a bit of a task. What you want to do isn't at all basic, and they should really be getting someone externally to do it! Don't let them give you something that they should be paying someone for...I can give you a hand though. :) All that aside though let me just get the first part straight:

So far you have:

- A table with all the required fields, which has a form user end of ease of use.
- A second form with the load page (could you explain what you mean by that!), and 3 buttons which I assume do the following; Add New Case (add a new record to the previous table), Search Existing Cases (search records currently on that table), Edit Existing Cases (locate and edit an existing record in the table).
- Your Add New form does work, but the other two don't.

Ok, lets just start with that. Can you confirm I've got the right end of the stick? :)
Liquidius
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby rufio89 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:15 pm

Hi liquidius! thank godddd we have an IT person on here!!! :)

Yes, you are right so far.

A second form with the load page (could you explain what you mean by that!)

It's like the switchboard menu? I think.... :s

Ok. but yes, everything else you have correct.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Liquidius » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:23 pm

Haha, someone has to be the silly one and decide to work with computers. :) You'll realise after this that although Access is pretty cool and can do almost everything, it is actually an evil program set out to annoy you in every way possible, lol.

Right, next part: (I need to simply it down for my simple brain to understand!)

- For your search form, you want to have a Surname, Postcode and a Received Date box, so that you can search each field individually if required.
- You'd like the searched data to show itself in a form, or report with all the fields so that it's easier to read.
- You would also like to be able to edit the searched data and to save it if need be.

Is that all of it? :)

I can't do much because I'm sat at work right now, but I'll have a look this evening and post up some instructions/ideas for you to try. :)
Liquidius
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby rufio89 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:42 pm

yeah I want the search bit to be like...

http://www.pikipimp.com/pp/pimped_photo ... 5054120340

do you understand my really bad diagram??
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Liquidius » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:45 pm

Yep, I understand :)

I reckon what we'll do it get it all working first, and then create the forms and the pretty stuff afterwards.

If you wanted to fiddle about with it before I have put up instructions, have a look in the "macros" section, because that's the easiest way to get access to filter data. :)
Liquidius
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby rufio89 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:48 pm

thank you sooo much you're a LIFE saver!!

I may have accidently told my boss that I can already do it :oops:

I dont need to make it as complex as I am, but I want to do a good job, and it's really quiet at work so it's giving me somethign to do, plus I'm learning a new skill which will be useful in the future!
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Return to Work & Colleagues