What to do?

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

What to do?

Postby m_m » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:41 pm

I've had to remove this post due to identity issues, I hope that is not a problem x
Last edited by m_m on Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
m_m
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Re: What to do?

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:20 pm

have you approached the temp agencies to see if you can get a temp to permanent position in anything
if you are likely to be made redundant you can tell your mum your leaving before you get pushed and probably less likely to get employment
it's your life not hers and she can't dictate to you
however as you live with her(and i assume pay her rent) then she may be concerned that you won't be able to pay her
You could always look at two part time postitions either a morning and evening or a morning and afternoon rather than trying to get one full time position
getting an eveing course in something you like that could help with a career would show your mum your serious about getting on in life and it would get you out of the house a bit more too (which would probably be a bonus the way things have been with your mum recently)
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby m_m » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:13 am

I've had to remove this post due to identity issues, I hope that is not a problem x
Last edited by m_m on Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
m_m
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:16 am

Depending on how much you earn the night class fees can be subsidised. You'd have to speak to them about it though.

My bf did a HE access course - it was a free course - he did it during the day but I'm sure he said they did a night time one as well - something like that may be a possibililty. I do keep meaning to look into it for me; if I do I'll let you know.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby m_m » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:30 am

Thank you dipsy :) x
m_m
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:40 pm

http://www.ucas.com/students/beforeyouapply/access_programmes/

http://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/
http://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/home/explanation.asp

I've found the above sites that tell you a little bit about getting on the courses. I'd check with a local college and see what they do as well.
Last edited by dipsydoodlenoodle on Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:44 am

I don't have any advice for you as such, just wanted to say I can totally emphasise with your situation - I have been with the same company for over 2 years now and I hate it. Managers will not delegate tasks/projects to their staff (in a bid to make themselves indispensable I imagine) so I'm bored out of my mind and not really learning anything/getting the experience I should. I am sick to death of it and just feel like jacking it in, but I can't because I have a mortgage and bills to pay! I went for an interview the other day but didn't get the job. It's also difficult as I don't actually have a clue what I want to do - I think I need a complete career change, but I'm clueless about what I can/should do. I know I should feel lucky that I even have a job at the moment, but it's hard to feel that way when I come into work everyday feeling so miserable!!
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby m_m » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:13 pm

Last edited by m_m on Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
m_m
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:25 pm

if it's something you really want to do it's better to do it now while you don't have a mortgage or any other money ties

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby RagDoll » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:27 pm

I agree with Bel Bel, also, before you do any course you should do some research into how likely it is that you are going to be able to get a related job at the end of it...
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:31 pm

i agree with ragdoll but sometimes these situations open up opportunities you wouldn't be exposed to if you don't go for it
but if there is a tiny chance of it helping you get a job then maybe it isn't worth it

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby m_m » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:31 pm

m_m
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby RagDoll » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:41 pm

Hehe :)

Well, I think the only way you can do that is to speak to people in the profession, ask what their opinion is - if they think the course is worthwhile and if it'd ultimately help you get a job. I could be completely off the mark here, but I would imagine that in this kind of field, work experience is more important than qualifications??? As such, it's good you're doing some volunteer work at the zoo. If I'm wrong, then the qualifications sound like a great idea.

It would also be worth setting up a meeting with the course leader/tutor and voicing your concerns. They should be able to tell you what kind of jobs/further education their students have gone into once they qualified. A word of warning though - they usually paint quite a rosey picture about the whole thing as they want more bums on seats at the college!

Lastly, I can totally understand why you're exploring other avenues since you're so unhappy in your current job (I am too!) but you have to be realistic about the chances of getting such a job. I'm no expert in animal welfare jobs, but I wouldn't imagine there are stacks of opportunities out there. Sorry if that sounds really negative, I'm not trying to put you off or anything, it'd just be such a waste of time, money and effort to go to college if there aren't jobs at the end of it.
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:51 pm

Another way to find out if the course offers opportunities is to ask the course leader for forward on an e-mail for you asking questions to people on the course. When I was at uni one guy did this - I certainly think it's worth looking into anyway.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby m_m » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:00 pm

m_m
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Next

Return to Work & Colleagues