Is anyone here self employed?

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Is anyone here self employed?

Postby rufio89 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:33 pm

Im thinking (very vaguely) about starting my own business (note, this is still in a "hmm.. maybe" stage).

Does anyone on here run their own business that could give me some advice?

Thanks
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Re: Is anyone here self employed?

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:49 pm

Some questions and things to think about

What will the business be? It's not a good time to start certain business right now
Is it something you know a lot about? i.e is it an industry you currently work in
Can you do simple accounting/book keeping? People can help you but it's always best to have a grip of whats going on yourself to keep on top of things
How will you fund it? Will you need to rent a place, what are the local rents like? Will you need to rent for a set amount of time? Can you get out of it if the business doesn't work?
Will you be going to the bank for a loan for stock or will you be investing your own money?
How will you sell and advertise? How will you fund those things?

You will need a business plan if you intend to borrow money from the bank

The Princes Trust is a great way to get excellent help in staring a business if you have little knowledge as you get mentours who are already in buisness themselves. My friend did this and it really helped her.
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby snail » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:16 am

I've also got to add:

Ask yourself, if I was my own boss, would I make myself do any work, or would I spend the whole day on ProblemPages.co.uk? :P
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby rufio89 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:00 am

if I was my own boss, would I make myself do any work, or would I spend the whole day on ProblemPages.co.uk?

Hah hah :)

Maybe.. :oops:
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby RagDoll » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:30 pm

I don't own a business or anything, but I agree with Bel Bel in the respect that it might not be the best of times to start your own business. It'd be very difficult to get a business loan for a start. I think it'd be best to wait until the economy has picked up a bit, especially as I know you're thinking of going into a lingerie business - I think small-medium sized enterprises are particularly struggling at the moment.
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Jo » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:27 pm

I'm self employed but also have a full-time job. You don't have to go all or nothing, you can start small by making a bit of extra money then see what happens. It does depend on the type of business you want to set up and how easily it can be done. All I need is a decent PC, an Internet connection, certain software and time to work - however if you're setting up something that needs a lot of physical space or resources then it might not be so simple!
Jo
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby snail » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:38 pm

That's very true if you had an ebay shop or something, Rufio. Very little outlay needed, and as much time as you felt you could give.

But make sure you declare yourself as a business to the taxman etc within 3 months of starting, even if you're not making a profit and don't have to pay anything. The rules are clear about this and it's not worth taking chances.
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Work & Colleagues