I hate my job

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

I hate my job

Postby chuckieegg » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:29 pm

I use to really enjoy my job i worked with great people and really enjoyed the role i was in. I was then offered a job promotion and since then everything has gone downhill.

Im not usually the sort of person who would take a job promotion i dont have alot of confidence in myself, but for some reason i took it thinking i could handle it what a mistake.

I now hate my job, i have no respect off the staff, ive lost all my confidence i feel useless at my job now. I wish i had never taken the promotion on because i was happy before it. I feel like some staff are jealous of my promotion one even complained to the manager about me saying i had it in for them this has really got me down.

I wake up in the morning i dread going to work i just wish i could enjoy it again.
chuckieegg
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: I hate my job

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:21 am

The people who have complained are probably jealous that you got the promotion and you didn't. If you go back to your old job I think some of the staff will start wondering "why you dropped down a level" - roumours may fly. I know I worked with a LOT of people like that.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:42 pm

Dipsy has a point but if it will get your confidence back and you would be ahppier with less reposnsibility then ask to move back.
Tell people straight it wasn't for you and you prefer to have less responsibility
If you aren't performing well then I am sure the management will be pleased to take you up on your offerHowever if you think you could achieve with some help from courses on how to manage staff etc then ask if you can have some extra training
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby LME79 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:39 pm

First things first: why has your confidence dropped? Is it because of the snide comments from others? You haven't said that you're not coping with the workload or anything so I'm assuming that part is ok.

Were you promoted recently? If so, what you're feeling is completely normal, though idiotic comments from jealous people won't help. You would NOT have been promoted had your managers not had complete faith in you and you MUST keep telling yourself that. When I was promoted in my job there were lots of times were I felt useless at my job but it's seriously all part of the learning curve; things will be a lot more challenging and stressful but that's why you get paid more - were you happy in your old role because you were comfortable i.e. you knew the job inside out? I'm guessing that you didn't take promotion lightly; I certainly had to think about it before deciding, "yes, I can do this!".

A new role, particularly a higher level role, WILL take time to get used to. Don't worry if you feel out of your depth - work through it to the best of your ability and if you really do get stuck, you can always ask your boss for guidance however I found that working through the harder tasks made me realise that I actually did know what I was doing and that is a great feeling! When you have a spare 30 minutes, make a note of what you'd like to achieve from this new role and then note down when you'd like to reach them, along with how. That way you'll stay focussed on the task at hand and watch as your confidence begins to grow. After you've logged off your computer tonight, note down five things that you've achieved or learnt since your promotion, and they don't have to be massive things at all (most things aren't!) - you'll find that this will be a lot easier than you think!

I've been in my managerial role for two years this year - the whole of the first year was a transitional period, particularly the first six months; I had to get used to not leaning on someone, making decisions that could affect business and managing people. It was tough but I got through it and I completely believe that you will too. Don't ask to be demoted yet - give yourself a chance. You can always ask your managers for regular appraisals as this will give you both a chance to log how you're getting on - I bet you're doing better than you think.

Most importantly - ignore those comments!

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

xxx
I want to be..a tree..
LME79

Return to Work & Colleagues